Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thrush--how long to continue prevention methods?

Default Thrush--how long to continue prevention methods?

Hi there. I have been diagnosed with thrush. I am being treated with diflucan and dd is being treated with nystatin. I read on the llli thrush FAQ that we should boil nipples, pacifiers, etc. and take care with laundry, using either bleach or vinegar in the wash. My question is how long to continue these measures-- after a certain amount of time on the medication, for the entire two week course, or something different. Also, I can't find any information about how much vinegar to use in the laundry. Does anyone know? Thank you!

Default Re: Thrush--how long to continue prevention methods?

Hm, I can't find any info that says how long to continue doing those things either.

My guess is, it would be a good idea to continue sterilizing for a few days after your and your baby's symptoms have cleared up. Hopefully that won't be too long! If you wanted to be on the safe side, you could keep sterilizing things for the full two weeks.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

It may take a week to clear up the infection using Nystatin. So you may have to continue doing those measures until things clear up and a couple of days after the thrush is cleared.

Something else you can try that one of the OBs I saw suggested is to rinse your nipples with vinegar solution (1 part water, 1 part white vinegar, I think) after each feeding. Since you're treating yourself with oral medication, this will be a topical application to cut down on the yeast you already have and prevent any new yeast from taking up residence from baby's mouth. I've been there, too! Sterilize for as long as you feel comfortable. Agree with PPs that a few days past when you both finish the medication is better.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*boxer826 View Post
    Hi there. I have been diagnosed with thrush. I am being treated with diflucan and dd is being treated with nystatin. I read on the llli thrush FAQ that we should boil nipples, pacifiers, etc. and take care with laundry, using either bleach or vinegar in the wash. My question is how long to continue these measures-- after a certain amount of time on the medication, for the entire two week course, or something different. Also, I can't find any information about how much vinegar to use in the laundry. Does anyone know? Thank you!
    How's it going? Hope PP and I were able to help you somehow.