Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: No Longer Soothed by Nursing?

Default No Longer Soothed by Nursing?

My 15 month old still enjoys nursing - it calms her when she's hurt, and helps her sleep when she is very tired - but at times when she's not exhausted, it doesn't seem to soothe her to sleep the way it used to.

I haven't been able to get her down for a nap for quite a while (this is just on weekends since I work weekdays). Even when I know she's tired, she just won't drift off while nursing. Doesn't matter if we're sitting in the rocking chair or lying in bed together - after a while she unlatches and wants to play.

Eventually my husband usually takes over and rocks her, at which point she'll wiggle and fuss for a minute or two, and then pass out. If I try anything like this - just rocking, or laying her down and rubbing her back - as you can imagine, she gets pretty worked up. This is less common at bedtime, but happens occasionally then too.

It's pretty frustrating for me to not be able to get her to sleep when she'll drift off on her own at daycare and with rocking from dad. Have others experienced this as their baby moved into toddlerhood? Any suggestions?

Default Re: No Longer Soothed by Nursing?

My LO stopped nursing to sleep in early toddlerhood too (she's now 23 months). It's frustrating when the magic bullet doesn't work anymore! Nursing is still part of our naptime and bedtime routine, though - it's still calming to her and I think it's a nice part of the routine, even though it may not put her all the way down. For us nursing is followed by a period of lying on the bed together, and/or rocking in the glider. For naptime she likes songs, but not at bedtime. We do all this in the dark (or dim if it's for naptime). She almost never falls fully asleep before I put her down, unless she's really tired, but she knows that the whole routine is leading up to bedtime so she doesn't protest when it's time to lie down. It sounds like you've tried something similar - I think you just have to keep trying different routines until you figure out one that works (or let your husband be the one who puts her down in the end).

That's useful to hear - sounds like it may be a new chapter that we need to find a way to settle into. I feel like I should be seeing it as a good thing to move past nursing to sleep, but losing that magic bullet is no fun!

It was frustrating when the "magic" first wore off, but I really like our new sleep routine: nursing for 20 min in the rocking chair, then a chest/back rub in the crib, then goodnight. It's just a new stage!
    Mama to a sweet kitty born July 2012.

I felt bad too when I wasn't able to get my DD to sleep while nursing. But as days passed, figured out what worked for her and tried it the next time.