Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Has anyone introduced a SNS to an older baby?(9 months)

Default Has anyone introduced a SNS to an older baby?(9 months)

Hi breastfeeding my daughter has been a struggle. She will only nurse to sleep and during her sleep. This week my letdown has stopped as she is not swallowing rapidly anymore. She has a horrible latch due to tongue and lip ties and I think they have finally caught up with us as from 6 months to 9 months she has only gained 390 grams from 7.690kg to 8.08 kg. She is very mobile and can stand holding on with one hand. Dr says weight is fine but now with my letdown disappearing i am worried. She is not interested in solids pureed or baby-led. I respond well to the pump but she won't accept a bottle, cup, doidy cup or sippy with pumped milk. The last thing I can think of is a sns. But i am afraid she may refuse. Has anyone introduced one so late on the game? Any advice would be great. Thank you in advance.

Default Re: Has anyone introduced a SNS to an older baby?(9 months)

Sorry you're having a hard time. I haven't used a SNS but I think infants at this age may reject them. Have you talked to your LC?

At the breast supplementers are used for adopted children and long term when a mother has poor milk production, so they have been successfully used for babies this age and even older. However that does not mean your baby will not object it's impossible to say. If you're concerned about the expense, why not try to fashion a homemade device? Jack Newman uses something like this in one of his videos on using a lactation aid. Someone posted not too long ago about where to get the right kind of tubing. I am sure if you hunt around online you may get some descriptions on how to make one.
    I am wondering what you mean though about your letdown? Do you mean that you are not feeling the Leggtown, or are you sure baby is getting much less milk? It would be normal to stop feeling letdowns by this time even if they were quite strong previously.
    When you say that tongue-tied has caught up with you, do you mean you think it has adversely harmed your milk production? Have you considered trying to increase your milk production? Or do you mean it is now causing pour milk intake now that your production has leveled off? Was the lip tie and tongue-tied ever treated? Is that an option?

Also whenever there are weight gain concerns in an older baby or toddler, or a child who seems indifferent to solids, I think the book my child won't eat hi Carlos Gonzalez offers very interesting and, in my opinion usually very reassuring information and perspective.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; February 19th, 2014 at 11:11 PM.

Thank you for your responses eve9 and lllmeg. i really appreciate it. I haven't got an LC here in Lyon as I can't find one competent. The one that is highly recommended told me that my dd should be sleeping through the night and that i should not feed on demand. I always felt my letdown and my baby would begin to swallow rapidly. Now i no longer feel them and she no longer swallows rapidly. She doesn't complain on the breast because she only nurses when sleepy so she falls asleep and comfort sucks, swallows a bit, comfort sucks, swallows etc. She has been relying on my letdown as she does not nurse properly and i compress my breasts. i hold her for her naps attached to my nipple in hopes that she will get more milk so i can't pump after nursing. Also her diapers are not as full as before that is why i am concerned. her ties were treated at 11 weeks when we were in Toronto but her latch was the same and they have reattached. i am trying to convince my SO to take her to London to get a laser-ed revision. I am already taking fenugreek and domperidone as per Dr. Jack Newman's recommendation. I eat oatmeal and drink a tea for nursing mothers. What else can i do to increase my supply? Does no letdown mean i have a low supply? in the evening I can pump 2 oz from each breasts an hour after i nurse her to sleep. i am determined to nurse her until 12 months any way possible and then after that however long she wants. But i just don't know how we can if i don't get my letdown back.