Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: C diff/thrush

Default C diff/thrush

My LO tested positive for C diff at 12 months. She was prescribed flagyl to treat it. Her Ped suggested I stop nursing/giving bottles during the day b/c she was vomiting afterwards. The Ped said that she didn't have enough of her good bacteria to digest the milk. I kept pumping for storage and we nursed am/pm. I was surprised at how well she adapted, but we've been doing baby led weaning since about 7/8 months and she really enjoys feeding herself. After the flagyl ended, I started sending a sippy of breastmilk to daycare (2-3 ounces per day) and she LOVES that. She has now been diagnosed with thrush and is on an oral diflucan. Her Ped said that she has most likely passed this to me, which probably cause the cracked, bleeding blowout my nipple experienced last week. I haven't pumped since that happened. Since I stopped pumping, I'm sending the frozen breastmilk in her sippy and we're continuing to nurse am/pm. Her Ped said that if I want to continue to nurse, I need to apply an antifungal to my nipples 4 times per day. My husband thinks I should stop nursing all together. LO also has the beginnings of an ear infection, but they aren't treating that yet for fear the c diff may return. Our Ped suggested we continued with bmilk in her ears, humidifier, benadryl at night and a salt sock to her ear daily. She has been on some type of medicine off and on since October and it's getting awful to give it to her. Should I just stop nursing so we won't pass this back and forth? I don't mind to apply the cream to myself. I am tired of comments about how breastfeeding must not work since in the past 6 months she's had 5 ear infections, c diff and thrush. Suggestions?

Default Re: C diff/thrush

I would say go ahead and treat yourself for the thrush. You'd likely have to do it anyway, even if you weaned! Have you visited Dr. Newman's page on treating thrush? http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...agename=doc-CP

As for breastfeeding not 'working'...just imagine how sick she might have been without the immune protection you've given her via breastfeeding!

Her Ped suggested I stop nursing/giving bottles during the day b/c she was vomiting afterwards. The Ped said that she didn't have enough of her good bacteria to digest the milk.
    ...And therefore formula would be easier to digest? I call total BS on this one, especially because the most common flagyl side-effects include nausea, abdominal cramping, and vomiting. If anything was making your LO throw up, it was most likely the flagyl. This is a great paper explaining why breastmilk helps support a healthy microbiota in the infant gut, and why formula doesn't: http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...16/3/e432.full. I think continuing to nurse was actually the best thing you could do.

She has now been diagnosed with thrush and is on an oral diflucan. Her Ped said that she has most likely passed this to me, which probably cause the cracked, bleeding blowout my nipple experienced last week.
    I think your pediatrician got it right this time.

Her Ped said that if I want to continue to nurse, I need to apply an antifungal to my nipples 4 times per day.
    That's a good start, but a course of Diflucan for you may be warranted, particularly because you're cracked and bleeding. That doesn't sound like a mild case of thrush. If the pediatrician is resistant to prescribing oral Diflucan for you, I would see a different doctor. You want this cleared up ASAP so you can go back to a normal nursing/pumping routine.

Practicing good breast hygiene is a good idea while you treat yourself. You want to change bras, towels, and shirts daily and wash them in hot water. Reducing simple sugars in your diet and taking a good probiotic- and giving one to your baby!- is also a very good idea.

My husband thinks I should stop nursing all together
    Why? As the PP said, imagine how much sicker your LO could have been if you hadn't been nursing!!!

I am tired of comments about how breastfeeding must not work since in the past 6 months she's had 5 ear infections, c diff and thrush. Suggestions?
    My first suggestion is to stop listening to stupid people and their stupid comments. Sorry to put it so bluntly!

Feeding a baby breastmilk is not a guarantee that the baby will never get sick, anymore than feeding a baby formula is a guarantee that the baby will be sick all the time. Statistics show that the average breastfed baby is less likely to get sick than the average formula-fed one, but an individual breastfed or formula-fed baby may be sick far less often or far more often than the average.

One thing people forget to account for when assessing whether or not breastfeeding is "working" is the long-term health impact of breastfeeding/not breastfeeding. They tend to look at the baby and add up the number of times the baby has been sick in the first year or two. They don't add in the baby's lower lifetime risk of obesity, diabetes, heart disease, certain cancers, dental problems, etc. Nor do they add in the mom's lower lifetime risk of the above conditions.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*maymeb View Post
    I am tired of comments about how breastfeeding must not work since in the past 6 months she's had 5 ear infections, c diff and thrush. Suggestions?
    If it's any consolation, my EBF son also had 5 ear infections in his first year. My younger two, also EBF - none. Kids are different. Some are prone to ear infections, others aren't. Daycare is the perfect petri dish for bacteria and viruses - all these naive immune systems, babies sticking everything into their mouths and rubbing their noses on things - I agree with PPs that breastfeeding probably helped your LO from becoming sick more often! It's wonderful you've breastfed your LO for a year - don't stop now!

By the way, a lot of moms start tapering the workday pumping at a year, or stop altogether, and continue nursing mornings/evenings/nights. Just an option to consider since you are at that point and have basically pump weaned anyway at this point.