Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 22 month old obsessed with nursing dad

Default 22 month old obsessed with nursing dad

I'm more curious than concerned. DD has been asking her dad to nurse -- a lot lately. It started about a week ago and hasn't let up. She's quite specific about where and what she wants to nurse: "Dada, nurse V on couch." Tonight, at dinner, "Dada nurse. Dada make milk. Dada nipple." I even asked her, "does Dada really make milk?" and she said 'yes,' as clear as a bell which is rare because she hardly ever says yes.

I'm sure it will pass as most of her little obsession do and it really isn't a worry. DH kind of loves it and if he could, I'm sure he would. Does anyone else have a toddler who gets really curious about dada every now and then? Any sense of what they may be trying to work out, if anything at all?

Mama to Viv since 4/08/12 -- my all natural post-breast cancer miracle baby

with just one breast. So far so good.

Default Re: 22 month old obsessed with nursing dad

Yep, totally natural and it will pass in time. Once they realize that dad has nipples, they kind of try to figure them out- how come they look like mom's but aren't being used the same way? My DH used to joke about getting pasties to protect his from DD1's inquisitive fingers.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*vivsmaman View Post
    I'm more curious than concerned. DD has been asking her dad to nurse -- a lot lately. It started about a week ago and hasn't let up. She's quite specific about where and what she wants to nurse: "Dada, nurse V on couch." Tonight, at dinner, "Dada nurse. Dada make milk. Dada nipple." I even asked her, "does Dada really make milk?" and she said 'yes,' as clear as a bell which is rare because she hardly ever says yes.

I'm sure it will pass as most of her little obsession do and it really isn't a worry. DH kind of loves it and if he could, I'm sure he would. Does anyone else have a toddler who gets really curious about dada every now and then? Any sense of what they may be trying to work out, if anything at all?

Mine is so much younger, only 14 months but she does stick her hand down my husband's shirt a lot and ask for "bay-bay", which is her nursing word. He thinks it's pretty funny. She also sticks her hands down her own shirt to show me her "bay-bays"! lol! I think they are just trying to express what they are realizing about nursing....who has the means, and who doesn't.
    and Mama to two little girls

My 15 month old is very, very interested in Daddy's nipples, too. She points to them and makes the milk sign and laughs, quite frequently. We thought she was going to try and nurse on him last week, but she shook her head and laughed.
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

When she asked this morning DH pulled up his shirt and said yes. She belly laughed, screamed "Nooooooo!" and started running. They had a good chance around the house, dada with shirt up, baby shouting "No, dada, no!" --- but of course asking him to nurse again the minute the chase stopped. So, yeah, definitely testing the boundaries of what mamas and dadas do while exercising that distinctly toddler sense of humor. So much fun.
    Mama to Viv since 4/08/12 -- my all natural post-breast cancer miracle baby

with just one breast. So far so good.

Too cute!

My 27 month old DS has done the same thing, starting around 18 months old and intermittently ever since. He'll ask for "Dada nu-nu" (nu-nu is our word for nursing) but then when he sees Dad's nipple, he laughs and doesn't try to latch. I think he did try to latch once or twice and decided within about a second that a hairy nipple in his mouth was not what he wanted. Now if Daddy offers Josh collapses in laughter. Sometimes Daddy will suggest Josh have nu-nu from kitty, which is also decidedly funny to Josh. I think it's just that they are attached to their Daddys and nursing is something special they share with Mommy and they're curious about sharing it with another person they love. Might have something to do with figuring out gender differences, too. Josh now knows that boys have penises and girls have nu-nu's (breasts). He is playing around with concepts of gender; sometimes he'll insist that I'm a boy. Other times, he'll insist that he's Mama. Other times, he'll insist that I'm a kitty. It all has to do with imagination and role-playing I think.
    First-time mama to Joshua, 10/29/11. 29 months and going strong! for 14 months; now finished with pump weaning!

My LO was not as curious as yours but it's very cute! Kids are more curious nowadays.