Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Administering probiotic to EBF infant

Default Administering probiotic to EBF infant

Hi all,
    I recently posted about my 8-month-old who won't eat solids. He hates the spoon anywhere near him - gags, makes himself throw up if I get food in his mouth, etc. He doesn't take a bottle, either.
    He's on antibiotics right now for an ear infection and it's a battle to get that in him twice a day. I was told to give him probiotic powder for the 10 days he's on the antibiotics. The question is... how?? Any ideas?
    Can I try and dab the powder directly on the inside of his cheek, or is that too direct?
    It says to sprinkle it on food, mix in applesauce, add to the bottle, etc. But none of those work in our case.
    Does anyone know if you can add the probiotic directly to the antibiotic? It wouldn't be much, since he only gets 1.25 mL at a time, but I guess it'd be better than nothing.
    What if I take the probiotic myself - would enough get transferred to my milk? Or does he really need to take it himself?

Default Re: Administering probiotic to EBF infant

Gerber makes a probiotic drop that you can put right in his mouth or on your nipple. The powder might be uncomfortable right in his cheek but you could mix it with a little breastmilk and try an eye dropper.

Great to know! The pharmacist led me right to the children's powder and said there wasn't anything specifically for infants. Definitely going to look for the Gerber drops! Thank you!!

I ordered a brand called GMF Natogen that was specifically for infants - but in Canada (not sure in the US), they can't legally state on the bottle that natural products are for infants. So just something to be aware of! I can't remember which site I ordered it from. It was a powder, and I would just wet my finger, put the powder on it, and give it to baby to suck on. I never had a problem giving it to her. As for giving them at the same time as the antibiotics, I believe you're supposed to separate them.

Put it on your nipple before nursing? Actually yes, taking a probiotic yourself would help. There's been new research that found the healthy gut bacteria from mom does transfer to baby (I think I've posted the link before. It'll take me a minute to find but let me know if you want to read it). The standard American diet is sadly lacking in probiotic rich foods in general so it's never a bad idea to up your personal intake.

I picked up a power probiotic for infants at my local Vitamin Shoppe. I think it was the Jarro brand I linked to below:
    http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/jarro...4#.UwN5Pc7h3Qo

Since I was also giving vitamin D drops at the time, I would mix the powder and the drops together to make a paste then have DS suck it off my finger. I don't know if this would work with the liquid antibiotics. In fact, I don't know if the antibiotics would kill off large amounts of the probiotic before it even reached the gut, if they were taken at the same time? Maybe you should make sure to give them separately, just in case.

Yes, taking a probiotic yourself is also helpful.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*carm3 View Post
    I ordered a brand called GMF Natogen that was specifically for infants - but in Canada (not sure in the US), they can't legally state on the bottle that natural products are for infants. So just something to be aware of! I can't remember which site I ordered it from. It was a powder, and I would just wet my finger, put the powder on it, and give it to baby to suck on. I never had a problem giving it to her. As for giving them at the same time as the antibiotics, I believe you're supposed to separate them.
    Yup, I did this too. I stuck my index finger into my baby's mouth to make it wet with his own saliva. Then I'd dip it into the powder (I obtained the powder by popping open a capsule) to coat my finger and then stuck it back into his mouth. He had no problem licking it off. It doesn't have that much of a taste.

Definitely not to be given at the same time with antibiotics because it will just counter the effects of the probiotics. Give it to your baby in between the doses of medication.

Great - I will try giving the powder directly off my finger throughout the day. He takes the antibiotic first thing in the morning and at night before bed.
    I checked Whole Foods, CVS and Walgreens but there were no drops to be found so I have to order online. I'll hope for the best with the powder until the drops arrive!
    Do antibiotics upset the stomach in general? Baby has more dirty diapers than usual and his skin there appears slightly irritated. He's never had diaper rash, and neither did his 2.5 yo brother... wondering if it is the medicine?

Antibiotics definitely will upset the digestive system and other systems. Loose & frequent stools and even diarrhea is a pretty common effect of antibiotics. I don't know about skin rashes but antibiotics can cause all kinds of issues. If it seems really bad you should consult your doctor of course. While all antibiotics cause these problems and thus should be given only when necessary, Some antibiotics cannot be tolerated by some people and sometimes it's necessary to try a different one.
    If the diaper rash is more from the frequent poops, things that have helped me is trying to soak babies bottom clean as much as possible (either in the bath or with a wet cloth) instead of wiping because all the wiping especially with commercial wipes can cause additional irritation. And finding a barrier cream I like and using it every single time I changed baby's diaper.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lolaminis View Post
    I checked Whole Foods, CVS and Walgreens but there were no drops to be found so I have to order online. I'll hope for the best with the powder until the drops arrive!
    Sorry I should have warned you. Our Walgreens has them but they are in the baby section, not with all the other probiotics. And they are actually called colic drops but really they are just probiotics.

On a side note, we started our LO on them 2 days ago and last night was her best ever! Could be a coincidence I know but mama is being optimistic.