Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fussy nurser

Default Fussy nurser

My lo has always been a fussy nurser, now 3 months, but it's starting to become painful and frustrating. I know I have too strong of a letdown so we lay down side by side to nurse, which seems to help, but she tugs, pulls off, cries and only nurses for 3-5 minutes. She never does this during her night feed and will nurse for over 10 minutes on each side. She is also very gassy. I've pumped the last 2 days to give my nipples a break and she loves the bottle. Never arches her back or kicks and seems to spit up less.I have no desire to 5-6 times and truly enjoy nursing. What to do? Also, we did have thrush the first month could it be back?

Default Re: Fussy nurser

It is possible that the thrush is back. Thrush has a nasty tendency to recur. If you're sure you had thrush before and the symptoms are similar then that might be the issue.
    But I'm curious if nursing has ever been truly comfortable? It worries me that you feel you need to pump in order to give your nipples a break. That suggests there may be more going on here then either thrush or forceful letdown. Have you ever been able to visit with a professional lactation consultant to have latch assessed? Sometimes babies actually have physical barriers to a comfortable latch such as tongue tie. I think when latch is uncomfortable, it is best to see a lactation consultant. However if that is not possible for you, and you suspect tongue or Lip tie, you may be able to have that assessed by an ENT or a pediatric dentist. However you would have to find one who is familiar with the current thinking on these issues and they're very detrimental effect on breast-feeding.
    What other positions have you tried? Have you tried the leaning back or laid-back also known as biological nurturing positions?

I forgot to mention that it is actually quite normal for a baby to start nursing.... differently, I guess is the best way to put it, at about this age. However it should not cause pain for mother that is what is concerning. Also about how often does baby nurse during the day? And about how often are you pumping? And about how much do you get when you pump? Oh and has baby's weight gain been fast, slow or normal?

Nursing has been comfortable from the start and We never had any issues with latching. I only pumped for 2 days to give my left nipple a break from her tugging. When I pumped would get between 3-5 ounces. I've tried many nursing position. She is nursing 5-7 times a day and it starting to have more of a schedule now. She does choke sometimes because of my flow on the right breast which produces a lot more milk. It was that way with my first. At her 2 month the doc was worried she didn't gain enough, born at 8.3 and was 10.6 then. We're heading back today to get it checked. I'm going to discuss my concerns with her and I'll let you know if the thrush is back and her recommendations. Thanks for your help!!

Nursing just 5-7 times a day? That's on the extreme low end for an exclusively breastfed baby. Most EBF babies need to nurse at least 8x per day in order to get their nutritional needs met. So is the low nursing frequency new? And is it something the baby has come up with in her own, or are you trying to stretch out the intervals between feedings?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/weight-gain/
    http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp.../fast-letdown/
    Hmm what was her complete weight history? Correct my math if it's wrong but I'm putting her at a little over 4 oz a day which is considered acceptable.

If you mean that when you pumped you got 3 to 5 ounces each time, then that would indicate high normal milk production. Of course it's always tricky to go by pump output for ascertaining milk production, however if you are able to pump that much milk at once certainly it would not indicate low milk production.
    If slow weight gain is a concern, I would think the last thing you would want to do is nurse less often. there is no inherent benefit to putting an infant on a schedule, at least no benefit for the infant. Nursing at babies cues continues to be the typical recommendation for the amount of time baby nurses or certainly at least for the amount of time baby relies on breastmilk as their sole nutrition. Of course if baby is not requesting to nurse frequently enough, then it never hurts to offer more often.
    Also if baby is tugging at the breast that can indicate baby having some frustration with the milk flow. Not always because sometimes as I noted before this can simply be normal as baby gets more distracted at the breast. But if it is related to flow, Either that the flow is too fast, or too slow. In both cases more frequent nursing helps. If flow is too fast, it helps because the breast is not so full each time. If the flow is too slow, frequent nursing helps because it increases milk production.
    I understand that if nursing is painful, it probably does not sound very appealing to nurse more often. But somehow we have to figure out what the pain is about. It's possible it has been caused or exacerbated by the less frequent nursing. Otherwise again late onset pain would be an indication of thrush as you suspected initially
    Weight gain of a little over 2 pounds in two months would be on the slow side for the typical breast-fed baby. But for some babies it might be okay it really just depends. some babies are just naturally slow gainers. But it is also helpful sometimes to look at Things like how much the babies initial weight loss was for example or what scales are being used – very often birthweight checks are incorrect or at least do not correlate with later weight check on the pediatricians scale. So if you wanted more suggestions on figuring out weight gain and what the problem there might be, a more complete history might help including information about how out put (poops) and nursing frequency from the time baby was born. Again your milk production going only by your pump output sounds high normal. So it would not be indicative that low production has been the problem. On the other hand with that kind of gain we could probably rule out overproduction.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; February 18th, 2014 at 05:58 PM.