Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back to work & baby refusing bottle suddenly at 3 mo old

Default Back to work & baby refusing bottle suddenly at 3 mo old

I am going back to work on Friday so we've been giving LO the bottle over the past few weeks with pretty good success, usually once every other day or so. We actually introduced the bottle pretty early on but I've been mainly feeding at the breast during my Maternity Leave. Sometimes she will drink the whole bottle (3oz) other times just a small amount. She does seem to prefer the breast however given the choice . Lately, in addition to other fussy behaviors such as refusing to sleep in her crib and screaming angrily when hungry, she has refused the bottle. She seems a bit more tired during the day (likely because we're struggling again with night sleep) so she prefers to nuzzle and nurse at my breast. Normally I'd be fine with this, but as I mentioned my imminent return to work has me concerned. She has always gained weight well and has numerous wet diapers and poops at least every other day (sometimes just small smears).

Hopefully this is the right board to post this! I know we just need to keep offering the bottle but appreciate any advice/tips/coping mechanisms. Thank you!!

Default Re: Back to work & baby refusing bottle suddenly at 3 mo old

Are you the one offering the bottle? In that case, my guess is that when you are nowhere nearby, baby will be much more interested in taking the bottle. When you're nearby, she's making her preference for the breast very clear!

Hi bfwmomof3- actually no, my mom tried (I was nearby) And then my husband (her dad) when I was not here...

Usually the trick with bottle refusal is to keep trying. Sometimes trying a different type of bottle may help. And definitely should not be you. It may help to try at a time when baby is not too fussy.

Thanks we will definitely keep trying. We've tried a host of bottles and settled on dr browns, but I may need to reintroduce the rotation!

Who is baby's caregiver going to be? Sometimes babies will act so differently with their caregivers - fuss at the bottle with mom and dad, then perfectly happy to take it from a daycare provider/nanny/sitter!

Have you looked at the information sheet called "bottlefeeding the breast-fed baby"? You can find it by searching on this site the search word toolkit. It is one of the many useful articles in the "tear-sheet toolkit."
    It is entirely normal for a baby to want more or less milk at different feedings. Also bottlefeeding usually goes better if baby is cue Fed just as baby is fed at the breast.
    Three months is a typical time for fussiness, "different" nursing behavior and mom's feeling concerned about their babies breast-feeding wise. For example many mothers are concerned they don't have enough milk at this age in part due to normal changes in baby's behavior.

It is quite common and normal for a baby to feel most comfortable sleeping in close proximity to mom. If you do not want to bed share, or for some reason bed sharing is not appropriate in your situation, perhaps baby will feel more comfortable in the crib if the crib is pushed up close to your bed?

Growth spurt perhaps? In which case I imagine it will improve in a few days. Maybe try when she isn't super hungry? Offer just an ounce 1 hour after she nurses? That is how we got our LO started on the bottle.

Here is the tear-sheet lllmeg mentioned:
    http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    Have you looked at the information sheet called "bottlefeeding the breast-fed baby"? You can find it by searching on this site the search word toolkit. It is one of the many useful articles in the "tear-sheet toolkit."
    Yes thank you I have seen this and it is helpful. We will have some help from our parents over the next two weeks and then she will go to day care full time. Our oldest is in the same day care and they are very competent so I'm not too concerned with day care. I will use this for our parents, though. Thank you for the link, bfwmomof3!
    Last edited by @llli*lisababy2; February 18th, 2014 at 10:05 AM.