Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What to wean onto at 1 years old if allergic to Cows Milk

Default What to wean onto at 1 years old if allergic to Cows Milk

I'm not sure I want to carry on Breastfeeding much after my little boy turns 1 in April. My goal was always 6 months but it seemed to get easier so I carried on as we both enjoy it. However he has now started Nursery and he will be going 4 times a week by age 1.. I really dont enjoy pumping and not being able to be away from the pump for long stretches.. I will have to travel with work and I can't see me wantning to take the pump and all that jazz... soooo, he is allergic (at the moment) to cows milk. Do you have to wean onto a different type of milk? Do toddlers have to have milk as part of their diet after 1? Or could I just breastfeed when were together and just not have milk when were not?

Where would he get his calcium from ect? I know I can use Almond Milk and the such but does he NEED milk?

Thanks Cx

Default Re: What to wean onto at 1 years old if allergic to Cows Mi

Many moms stop pumping at age one, so that won't be an issue. You will have your supply when you need it and as long as you are nursing 3-5 times per day when you are together, you don't need to replace breast milk with any other milk alternative.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*still.here View Post
    Many moms stop pumping at age one, so that won't be an issue. You will have your supply when you need it and as long as you are nursing 3-5 times per day when you are together, you don't need to replace breast milk with any other milk alternative.
    Wow I didn't know this about pumping! Great! So he won't need milk at Nursery after 1?

So if I decide to stop breastfeeding altogether what would u suggest?

If you will not be nursing and baby is allergic to cow's milk, I'd recommend talking to a nutritionist about what solid foods he eats and in what amounts and what you need to give him, whether food or vitamin supplements, to make sure he's getting the nutrients he needs. There are a lot of calcium rich foods, like beans and dark leafy greens, that can provide dietary calcium, but I wouldn't know what quantities you'd need. There are also fortified milk alternatives (almond, soy, hemp, coconut, etc) and juices that have added nutrients. According to the nutritionist we saw, fortified soy milk is the best option for meeting nutritional requirements.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

He won't nutritionally need milk at nursery if you are still nursing 3-5 times per day. If he's used to nursing during the day you may want to provide pumped milk or some kind of milk alternative like almond or soy or whatever to help settle him, at least at first.
    --Anonymous

What Still.here said. You might experiment with goat's milk- some kids who can't tolerate cow's milk do okay on goat.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"