Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby shaking his head

Default Baby shaking his head

So after taming thrush and thankfully continuing to successfully nurse, DS has started a bad habit-- he shakes his head back and forth, as if saying no. He does this while latched on to my nipple, at the beginning of a feed typically, and the excessive tugging does not feel pleasant at all. He is seven weeks old and just started doing this, not all the time, but frequently enough it's becoming a problem for me. Why, and how do I get him to stop?

Default Re: Baby shaking his head

Why? Babies sometimes pick up weird nursing quirks. They generally grow out of them; at just seven weeks your baby is young to make connections between his behavior and outcomes. Give him time to figure out whether or not the head shaking is necessary, and he'll discover that it isn't. Meanwhile, try some different nursing positions. Reclined positions are especially good because they use gravity to keep the baby on the breast.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My daughter had did all sorts of weird things while nursing (like only nursing if she could stick a toe up my nose ) She has grown out of most of them and occassionally returns to an old habit or picks up a new one. If he is hurting you I agree with Mommal and try changing positions. At 7 weeks I was primarily nursing in an oversized recliner chair so I could lean back if the flow was to fast and sit up once she was just comfort nursing.
    mommy to Ellie - 2/28/13 8lb 3oz 19.5in

When my 5wk old does this, it means she's really hungry. She normally stops a few minutes into the feeding when she realizes that the milk is coming and it's all for her! I usually lean her head against my arm for her to rest it and she at least slows it down so it doesn't hurt so much.
    Lisa & David Est. 9/3/11
    Madeline 12/31/13

When my daughter did that in the hospital it was pared with loosing the nipple then crying repeat repeat (ouch ouch) my nurse said she might be frustrated waiting for milk and to squirt a little in her mouth so she remembered what she was doing. I'm not sure if it's what's causing your issue (6 weeks is supposed to be a growth spurt), but if so that helped me.

He could be trying to stimulate a let down. Stay relaxed then give him some time to fuss about and try again. If he is not wetting 6-8 diapers a day, then definitely get some help.