Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Having such a hard time on one side!!

Default Having such a hard time on one side!!

Alright I will try not I make this too long but seekin desperate help... My little boy will be two months old next week (time flies!) and were still struggling getting a good latch on my right breast. It is tearing me apart and hurts hurts HURTS!
    Some background on us- I've got flat nipples so I've been using a nipple shield with success in getting back to nursing- I was exclusively pumping for two weeks due to amazing frustration first couple weeks... I love nursing him on my left breast, it's wonderful. But I dread my right one because it's so toe-curlingly painful. I've tried everything, switching up positions with no success, seen a lactation consultant where we had great success while at the appointment. Two weeks after we were back at square one.
    I'm just so frustrated because I want breastfeeding to be a nice experience and not a dreadful one like it is 50% of the time. I have no plans on giving up and were working hard on our latch, but he doesn't like to open his mouth wide enough like he's supposed to, which makes him frustrated cuz I won't stick him on unless his mouth is open wide enough. He also likes looking up while on the right side and squirms and wiggles around too, which causes him to lose his latch and regain it super shallow... OUCH.
    Tips? Advice? Encouragement? All of the above? Like I said I'm not giving up and refuse to I just want to know what's going on with him and what else can I do to fix it??

Default Re: Having such a hard time on one side!!

Could the pain on the right side be due to more than just a shallow latch? Does it ever hurt when he's not nursing? Does it just hurt at the nipple or is the pain deeper than that?

Are you offering the right side first, or do you typically nurse on the left side first? If the latter, maybe he's just not hungry enough to bother latching properly by the time you move him to the right side...

Just throwing out ideas. I'm sure there are still other things you can try before you throw in the towel with Ol' Righty. But I did have a sister-in-law who ended up nursing one of her babies one-sided and was still successful that way (aside from being very lopsided for a while), so at least you don't need to be worried about losing your entire supply, kwim?
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

Hi, I would say first give your LB time to recuperate, then a day or two later put him on the LB first for feedings. Your flow on the LB might be too slow for him or two fast and maybe he needs a little more time to grow to get a better latch. My daughter is 10 weeks and the first 4 were super tough, she had a little mouth and it didn't open very wide. I dealt with sore nipples that cracked easily and had blisters that burst often ( I used extra virgin olive oil to help soothe these problems ) but with time it got better, we still have setbacks with one of my breasts ... So hang in there you're doing wonderfully

Mom to two beautiful girls
    Michelle Antoinette 7/2012
    Mia Ann 12/2013

If things feel good on the left breast, maybe try positioning him the same way while he nursing from the right. Ie., use a pillow for support and have him lying as if he's going to nurse from the left and just shift him over. I had some success with that when my LO was small.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*carm3 View Post
    If things feel good on the left breast, maybe try positioning him the same way while he nursing from the right. Ie., use a pillow for support and have him lying as if he's going to nurse from the left and just shift him over. I had some success with that when my LO was small.
    this! I was trying to say this in my first post but couldn't figure out a good way to explain it so I just deleted that part...but yeah. Maybe baby is just uncomfortable laying on his left side for some reason...

Great tips above. When I had this type of problem with my third baby, I had to remain very very proactive about how I latched are on the "bad" side. With my right I could put her in any position and everything was fine. But with my left I really had to take care to be very careful about doing a good breast sandwich latch technique. It drove me crazy because I wanted to just lean back and do nice relaxed laid-back breast-feeding. And that worked great on the one side. But for a few weeks there I had to be very very careful about always taking care to make sure baby latched well on the painful side. If baby won't open her mouth before she latches, can you reposition her or push a little bit more of your breast tissue into her mouth after she's latched maybe?
    Are you still using the shield on both sides?