Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Growth Spurt & Not Pooping?

Default Growth Spurt & Not Pooping?

Is it normal for a baby to poop less during a growth spurt? My 4 m/o hasn't had a good one all week & he usually goes every day. He's had a couple smaller ones but that's it. & he's been eating more it seems (both sides at most feedings instead of just one) so I'm wondering if he's having a growth spurt. He's acting normal, belly not hard or anything. & wetting normally too. I know it can be normal for EBF babies to poop less often but it's not his normal. I'm a little scared of what's going to come out of him when something eventually does though!
    DD, 7-2-2011, "Little Owl" nursed for 21 months

DS, 10-10-2013, "Mr. Man" EBF and going strong

Default Re: Growth Spurt & Not Pooping?

Brace yourself. The poonami/poopsplosion/brown-out/diaperbuster- it's coming.

After 6 weeks, it's totally normal for an exclusively breastfed baby to go a week, sometimes more, without pooping. I think our current record holder is LLLMeg's baby, who went 21 days without pooping. Something like that.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I know! Haha...I'm starting to plan our outings based on how easy it would be to change an epic poopy diaper...lol. 21 days is crazy...I hope he doesn't wait that long!

I just needed to be reminded that it's normal for EBF babies to go this long...the other moms I talked to seemed surprised, like it wasn't.

Any chance this could be related to a growth spurt? I feel like I've heard or read that somewhere, and he does seem to be eating more than usual.
    DD, 7-2-2011, "Little Owl" nursed for 21 months

DS, 10-10-2013, "Mr. Man" EBF and going strong

Are the other moms you talked to nursing? Going 7 days or more without pooping would indicate constipation in a formula-fed baby. And of course, there's a wide range of normal with breastfed babies. I had one kid who was pooped several times a day until close to a year, and another who would routinely go a week without pooping.

This could be related to a growth spurt, or it could not. The mysteries of the infant digestive system... But if you feel like your LO is in a spurt, he probably is!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My baby also lessened his amount of dirty diapers when he was undergoing a growth spurt! He usually has about 2 dirty ones a day, but when he has growth spurts, he might not go at all for a day.

Had this w/ my LO before and my friend told me to try moving LO's legs in cycling motions or put a drop of fresh orange juice in water on a spoon. Some days it worked, some days it didn't.

Just happened over the weekend! My little one went through a growth spurt (I'm assuming) because he ate so much the past few days and his sleep was wonky. He didn't have a BM from Friday morning till Sunday afternoon. And when it came, it came!