Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Food sensitivity HELP!!!

Default Food sensitivity HELP!!!

So my LO is 2 weeks and 2 days old and for about a week she has been unbelievable fussy and gassy. I don't know what I am eating that is causing her pain but it is to the point that I am ready to switch to formula to relieve her suffering. Gripe water is doing nothing, and I didn't notice a big difference when we gave her mylicon drops. As of yesterday I have cut out dairy and caffeine but see no difference yet. Any ideas on what to try diet wise? Any tips or advice on what to do when she has horrible gas besides burping and leg rotations? I am so discouraged due to the constant pain she seems to be in Please help!

Default Re: Food sensitivity HELP!!!

Okay I can understand how difficult it is when baby is super gassy and fussy. However please know that the research is very clear. Human breastmilk is the only normal food for a human infant. Formula is going to be much more harmful in the long run to the infants gut development and in many other areas of general health as well. Medical experts agree that even when there are food based allergies that breast-feeding should continue while mother works on eliminating whatever the culprit is.
    If you visit the website for the Academy of breast-feeding medicine, you will see they have a list of protocols that are written for medical professionals. Down at the bottom is the one about allergic proctocolitis. This will give you very thorough information about what the symptoms of food allergy are and also how to approach food elimination systematically and carefully. You don't want to end up eating nothing.
    When mothers have this concern the other much more common cause is overproduction and or forceful letdown. To read more about that issue, I suggest visiting www.Kellymom.com. Look for the article on forceful letdown. If what you read there seems to possibly fit your situation then you can try some of the suggestions she has there basically when this is the problem it can be very helpful to nurse very frequently, and also to nurse in a leaning back or laid-back position-I believe she calls it nursing uphill or nursing down under. She has some other great suggestions as well. However I would not suggest block nursing until you come back to us and tell us more about what is happening especially in regard to weight gain. Block nursing reduces production and should only be done if baby is gaining extraordinarily well and other measures do not work. Too often mothers block nurse unnecessarily and it can be very harmful.

I think many moms here understand how difficult it is to have a super fussy gassy baby! I know that I do. I also found gripe water or gas drops completely useless. What helped for me was working on the issue which in my case was forceful let down and also holding baby most of the time, snuggled against my chest with babies head above tummy.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; February 15th, 2014 at 09:17 PM.

It's probable that your child's fussiness has absolutely nothing to do with your diet. Most babies are not bothered by anything their moms eat; the whole "Your baby is fussy so it must be something you're eating" thing is pretty much an old wives' tale. Don't get me wrong, there are certainly babies with allergies and intolerances to things passed via mom's milk. But the majority of fussy babies are fussy because they are babies, not because mom is doing something wrong.

If this is an allergy or intolerance, the biggest offender is dairy, followed by soy and wheat. This is why switching to formula is unlikely to make things better- all formulas are made from either dairy or soy.

Can you describe what you're seeing in your baby a little more? There are a lot of reasons babies fuss and if we know more about what she's doing we might be able to suggest some things to try. For example, when does she get fussy? Does the fussiness intensify at any time of day? How does nursing feel? How does your baby behave when nursing? How often does the baby nurse?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Just wanted to add that it will take a while (like 3-6 weeks) before you notice a change in your LO's behavior, if dairy is the cause. (Other food don't take quite as long, but frequently take 1 to 2 weeks.) This is because first the offending food has to completely clear out of your system, and only then can it clear out of your LO's. Also, if dairy is the cause, you have to cut it completely out -- and that is much harder than it sounds. Hidden dairy lies in the damnedest things. This link has some good info on food sensitivities in breastfed infants.

Caffeine has a half-life of some 30+ hours in a newborn, if I recall correctly. So it will also take a few days before that will make a difference.

As mommal said, if you could tell us in a little more detail what you're seeing, it will help us help you a bit better. It could be anything from a forceful letdown, to simply swallowing air, to possible tongue tie (this happened to me with DS1), to a growth spurt, so on and so forth. There's a lot it could be aside from food issues. Take heart! We can figure it out.
    Breastfeeding, babywearing, sci-fi loving, total geek of a mom!

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. — Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    the majority of fussy babies are fussy because they are babies, not because mom is doing something wrong.
    This is worth repeating. As moms we are way too quick to blame ourselves for everything! And when there is a problem - or we even think there might be a problem - we rush to find some way to punish ourselves for it. Gas is often due to an immature digestive system, and/or swallowing air while eating. But we don't have control over those things so we look for some other explanation.

Thanks for the replies ladies. I have cut out dairy, and my addiction to chocolate (due to caffeine) and other caffeine offenders, also I am cutting out gassy foods such as broccoli and onions and also tomatoes die to their acidity. Other than that I am eating as normal.
    As for some of your questions, She was weighed today, and when she was born she weighed 8lb 3oz and today she was 10lb even and has grown an inch from 20in to 21in, all in under 3 weeks. So she is gaining well. I notice that when she is eating she sometimes looses the latch and will suck in some air, and I try to eliminate that but what can you really do about that? Also a few minutes into the feeding she will (most of the time) start to choke and cough on the milk (I'm assuming during a letdown).
    As for when she is fussy-all. the. time. If she is awake she is fussy. When I lay her down to go back to sleep at night after a feeding she squirms and grunts and fusses until I pick her back up and burp her a few more times. She spits up quite frequently. She cries all the time. I feel so bad for her

Have you tried baby probiotics? Recent studies have shown they measurably reduce reflux.
    http://www.healthline.com/health-new...infants-011314

Did you find the article on forceful let down that LLLMeg recommended? It really sounds like it fits your situation and definitely can cause the issues you're seeing. There are several things you can do to help. Adjusting nursing positions may help baby take in less air. Frequent feedings are also extremely helpful.
    I remember it being so frustrating when my son was little trying to figure out what was causing his obvious pain. It ended up being a combination of both oversupply and a dairy sensitivity. I do agree with the other pp's. It's unlikely that the other foods besides dairy and possibly the caffeine are going to effect anything. I'd look to soy, wheat, or eggs in two or three weeks after keeping a food diary to decide which to eliminate first WHILE taking steps to help baby with your forceful let down.