Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I am going insane -- is my LC crazy?

Default Re: I am going insane -- is my LC crazy?

I pumped for 10 weeks with my twins and 15 mos with my daughter due to milk removal issues. Right now I'm using a homemade SNS type of thing nursing my almost-7 mo old twins because I never made quite enough milk for them so yes people do do hard work to nurse their babies and it isn't super easy for everyone. Is it worth it? Yes, very much so to me and my family. A lactation aid or SNS to me has been a huge lifesaver. It's complicated at the beginning but once you get the hang of it it's the best thing ever because you don't have to deal with bottle flow preference and much much less likely to have breast refusal (which I dealt with for 5 mos with my daughter and it was the most difficult problem we ever faced and trust me we had problems).

We stopped waking our twins when they were over 5 mos old. Maybe we are on the old end of the spectrum but I didn't want to hurt my supply and in the beginning they would have gone 5-6 hrs without nursing and that is really not OK for wt gain.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

So my lo is six weeks now and I know every situation is different. But we made it. And you can too it's hard but I did feel once we got into a routine things felt easier. I too had to wake up my sweet little miss all the time. It's okay. They need to eat. Their little bodies need to get stronger. I am still waking her at night. Just because I'm used to it. Hugs you got this.

We're on a new plan with daily exercises for the boy's mouth to improve sucking, but we're really not seeing any progress. He doesn't open wide, doesn't stick his tongue out, so he doesn't latch on well. He'd also gladly sleep 6+ hours, so we're pretty much ALWAYS spending a half hour waking him up, then he's still not really awake so he just goes back to sleep as soon as he gets the nipple in his mouth.

Extremely frustrating & discouraging, and not a single indication of anything getting better.

Are there ways to get individual help without paying $300/visit? We've paid two LCs now, and they're taking phone calls/emails after the fact, but I think we need more than that to make any headway at all. The boy isn't going to get better at this if we're doing it wrong in the first place.

Actually, he probably will get better at nursing even if you do nothing, or at least nothing more than what you're already doing. New babies are very weak, very uncoordinated. They can't hold their own heads up, their limbs thrash around. They open their mouths and suck instinctively, but that doesn't mean they are good at the whole latching/nursing thing. And their mouths are tiny, so even when they are opening as wide as possible and their tongues are where they are supposed to be, it is often still difficult for them to achieve a good latch. It all changes as the baby grows, gains strength and muscle control, and learns how best to use his mouth to eat.

I'm sorry getting help from the LC is so expensive. La Leche League provides free help. Sometimes WIC does, too, if you're eligible for that. If you're really lucky, you'll find a LC who will help for free or for a reduced or spread out fee- but the only way to find out about a spread out/reduced fee is to ask.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree with mommal. If you have local LLL definitely contact them. If they can't help you they may know someone who can. Are you in the US? That seems on the high for lactation consultant, although it is not any higher than I've heard before. Also it is possible lactation consultants are increasing their fees now that they are typically covered by insurance but they have to spend many hours on paperwork trying to get that reimbursement consequently May have to charge more. Have you looked into if your insurance will cover?
    I would also suggest that you continue your own research based on your own observations. You are the one with baby every day watching how baby nurses or doesn't nurse. You are seeing how baby wakes or doesn't wake. If your baby is not a textbook baby and few are, it may be that your helpers are missing something that you can see. your local LLL may have books you can borrow from their library. You may even be able to borrow from your lactation consultant some textbooks such as Catherine Watson Genna's supporting sucking skill in breast-fed infants. She also has a website.
    Is baby gaining well now? Again I want to point out that over supplementing can lead to over sleepiness, A lack of interest in the breast and a lack of vigorous sucking. Of course if baby needs the supplements to gain normally, then that's what is needed but I'm talking about over supplementing which unfortunately is quite common.
    Has tongue-tied and Lip tie been ruled out?
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; February 22nd, 2014 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*blueduck View Post
    We're on a new plan with daily exercises for the boy's mouth to improve sucking, but we're really not seeing any progress. He doesn't open wide, doesn't stick his tongue out, so he doesn't latch on well. He'd also gladly sleep 6+ hours, so we're pretty much ALWAYS spending a half hour waking him up, then he's still not really awake so he just goes back to sleep as soon as he gets the nipple in his mouth.

Extremely frustrating & discouraging, and not a single indication of anything getting better.

Are there ways to get individual help without paying $300/visit? We've paid two LCs now, and they're taking phone calls/emails after the fact, but I think we need more than that to make any headway at all. The boy isn't going to get better at this if we're doing it wrong in the first place.
    Where are you from? I am from Connecticut and here there is an excellent pediatric practse that is focuessed exclusively on breastfeeding issues. The doctors and LCs i. The practise are wonderful. I am saying that des
    Ite the fact that my 3-month old son still cannot nurse, maybe never will. Some babies are like that. Others just take a little longer. I have been pumping for my non-sucker for 3 months and hate every second of it. It, too will pass, though.

I don't want to discourage you or be negative, but we have been through it all. Started with one LC, moved ro the other, supplemented in syringe, cup, SNL, tried latch-on, woke baby, weighed him after each feeding, none of it helped, at 2 weeks he was still 14 ounces below his birth weight. Have been drinking EBM from the bottle ever since, every few days still try to out him on, by now he flat-out refuses it. So not all stories are success stories. Have a plan B. be prepared. Wkth a plan that you are willing to commit to. There are options, you have to decide what you are willing to do. On the plus side, time flies, days go by really fast, especially that there is no difference between day and night, they just flow into each other. Good luck.