Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Food and milk at 14 mos

Default Food and milk at 14 mos

I'm sorry if this question has been asked somewhere else. My daughter is 14 mos and up until last month has always nursed every 2 hours. I could set a clock by her. Since she's become mobile she seems too busy to nurse and is finally (slowly) starting to increase solid foods. She will eat almost anything given to her but it doesn't seem like a substantial amount. I have stopped prompting her to nurse and am letting her tell me when she wants it but sometimes it seems like way too long (4-4.5 hours). Also, she only gets water in a straw cup and will only take a small sip if really coaxed but does more neck-wetting than drinking. My question is, at this point can I trust her to eat and drink what she needs? Or do I need to be closely monitoring how much she eats and nurses? She usually has yogurt and fruit for breakfast, something left over from dinner the night before for lunch, and whatever we are eating for dinner. She eats snacks in between like Cheerios, cheese, fruits, vegetables etc. but as I said before it's small amounts. I guess I'm having a hard time figuring out if the nursing sessions are an essential part of her diet or just a nutritious extra. My husband and I plan to go out for an evening this week and I don't have milk pumped. I don't know if she needs it or if she would be fine without it if she's eating food. When she's busy playing with grandma she will rarely, if ever, as for it. What is the guide at this stage of the game? Thanks for the guidance. I'm so thankful to have made it this far and for everyone from LLL who has so kindly supported our efforts.
    First time momma to Ansley Catherine 12/22/12

Default Re: Food and milk at 14 mos

I think with a normal healthy 14-month-old, you can relax and trust that baby will tell you what baby needs. On The other hand, I think it never hurts to offer to nurse. Busy babies forget to nurse. Also any time there is an owie or baby look sleepy or is cranky etc. etc. are good times to offer to nurse. Lots of times. the impulse to nurse becomes more in response to a need for comfort rather than hunger in toddlerhood, although of course the milk itself is still very valuable to the overall health and normal growth of the growing child. At this age nursing behavior can look very different than previously. And what baby is doing now maybe different again in a few weeks or months. A book I find very helpful and insightful for these types of concerns is my child won't eat by Carlos Gonzalez.

Mothering your nursing toddler is another excellent book.

I agree with lllmeg. Remember that growth slows a lot as baby hits the one-year mark. Also, toddlers are small! What seems like not much food for an adult may be perfectly adequate for a toddler. I personally go by the philosophy that if a healthy toddler is hungry, she will eat. So really your job is to offer - whether the breast and/or solids, and then let her make the decision whether and how much she wants to eat at that particular time. My kids have pretty erratic eating patterns - one meal they may eat a huge amount, then they barely eat at the next meal. Over time it evens out.

With regards to your evening out, your daughter should be just fine without any pumped milk. Sounds like she has a very nice relationship with grandma!

Thank you both so much for your input. It really helps to hear from other nursing mamas. There have been so many changes in the past month (walking, language, signs) and I was getting confused as to what the new normal is (if that exists) in the way of food and nursing. I'm really looking forward to going out with my husband this week. It's our first date since Ansley was born and I feel like I can relax knowing she's ok without milk for a bit. I wasn't sure of that before. Thanks!
    First time momma to Ansley Catherine 12/22/12

You'll be great! Nurse her right before you go and I bet she'll be peachy for 2-3 hours. Have a wonderful night! You deserve it.

Hope you had a nice night out!

Thanks for the help. We had a nice time out and came home to Miss Ansley eating blueberries- never having asked for milk. She nursed and she went to sleep. I was nervous at first but since it went so well, we decided to try to go out somewhat regularly - like normal civilized people :-)

Yay for grandma and blueberries! Glad everyone had a nice time and that you're going to do it again. Sounds wonderful!