Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking of weaning at 8 wks

Default Re: Thinking of weaning at 8 wks

Yes I think that's part of the reason. I believe she will also talk to me about maintaining a milk supply, pumping at work and any other concerns. I am worried about how much to leave with DH and other caregivers as our LO has a very short (almost nonexistent) timespan between early and late hunger signals and is practically inconsolable when he's hungry, i.e. he often wakes up crying, and there is nothing that will quiet him until he is eating! (I have tried to catch him juuuuust before he wakes and feed him, and that seems to backfire as he just falls back to sleep!) And will I be able to pump enough? On demand feeding with a bottle will surely present some new challenges, like not losing precious breastmilk! I am learning that a mother seems to always have worries!

Package your milk in small portions. 2-3 oz bottles, and some 1-2 oz "chaser" bottles. That way your caregiver can feed the baby on demand without overfeeding. And the small bottles will force the caregiver to pause the feeding, giving baby a chance to figure out whether or not he's still hungry before another bottle goes into his mouth.

You're looking to leave about 1.5 oz of milk per hour of separation. If you can't produce that much, and you end up needing to use formula to fill some gaps, that's okay. And if pumping is problematic, let us know- we may be able to Ta you through steps to take to increase supply.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hi everyone! Just thought it might be polite to post an update! This forum--all your advice--has been so helpful to us! I am back to work, and so far so good! I am able to pump at least twice per 8 hr shift, my coworkers are being awesome about it, and I did use some of the tips from breastfeeding in combat boots to "outfit" my pumping equipment for hands-free pumping! I am able to BF my LO 3-4 times before work, once when I get home, and once throught the night. And, I have sent the different size bottles to daycare/sitters and everything is going well there also! Daddy is enjoying feeding LO in the evenings, I am SO happy that with all of your encouragement we are still EBF! I am enjoying it even more now that I am back to work as it's my own special time with LO A BIG thank you to all of you for your advice and support!

That's awesome, mama! Thank you for letting us know how you made it work. It's great information to have available for the next mom who comes along, with a situation similar to yours.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

This is so great to hear! Congrats, mama!
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

This is good news!

Way too lazy for formula