Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping for overnight separation

Default Pumping for overnight separation

I need help with this as well and fast! A judge recently ordered overnights to my SOB ex husband for my 4 week old and I can barely pump any extra! She didn't even wait til I was done with my postpartum recovering. I'm sure the stress I'm under doesn't help much and I feel I'm losing the little supply I had. So to add the need to pump enough bottles for a full day don't help.

Default Re: Best Way to Pump (to build stockpile) and Breastfeed?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bfwmomof3 View Post
    @challisgurl Are you serious? There should be a law against long separations of a nursing mom and her baby. This is ridiculous. Do you have a good double-electric pump?.
    And also a good lawyer- you need one of those!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

@bfwmomof3, I have a Hygeia Enjoye I received through insurance but I'm only getting about a half ounce combined for each time I pump. It took me two whole days to make enough fir a 4 oz feeding so I'm not sure how I'm going to do this. The court order even says if I can't pump enough then I have to send formula! There really should be a law against this.

@mommal, I had a crappy lawyer at first and now have a good one trying to reverse the damage the first one did, but the judge I have is really harsh. Even though she is a female she didn't care that I had just given birth or that I was nursing or anything. This doesn't seem like justice at all.

@bnjcwilson, sorry to hijack your thread!

Goodness that really is awful. Okay, well, with regards to your pump, the Enjoye is supposed to be an excellent pump. Are the flanges properly fitted? How long are you pumping for? Are you doing breast compressions while pumping? Keep in mind that sometimes moms start off with very little pump output and then see a gradual increase in the pump output. Also, you will probably have more pump output when you are pumping instead of nursing, rather than pumping in addition to nursing (although trying to pump one side while nursing the other is a good suggestion). So if you can just build up enough for that first day/night apart, after that you can pump each time for the next time.

Another thing to keep in mind is that stress is a big inhibitor of letdown. If I were in your shoes, every time I hauled out the pump I would start thinking about how terrible the situation is, get stressed, and then have trouble letting down. If you think that could be contributing, think about ways to distract yourself while pumping. For example, focusing on your baby and reminding yourself that you are doing this for your baby, not for your ex. Or listening to music, watching a movie or show, reading, meditating - whatever it takes not to focus on the pumping itself.

Default Re: Pumping for overnight separation

Stress can affect let-down and pumping output and this is happening to you. I can't imagine myself to be in your situation. Just trying everything you can for your baby is the greatest a mom can do. Have you tried cluster pumping? Instead of a regular nursing or just pumping session, get your baby and your pump, and nurse and pump every half hour to an hour for several hours.