Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: stopping domperidone after 13 months--don't want to wean

Default stopping domperidone after 13 months--don't want to wean

Hello
    I have been taking domperidone since my daughter was 3 months old (she is now 15 months). I feel like a year on a drug is a long time- so I would like to try and stop taking domperidone. However I do not want to wean my daughter. I have read the Jack Newman tips for slowly reducing the amount you take and have dropped one tablet today (I have been taking 2 tabs 3xs a day).
    My daughter still nurses in the daytime and a couple times in the night.

I also took domperidone with my son and within a month of stopping to take it he weaned completely(13 months)-- however he had already tapered off to only feeding before bed and upon waking up before then. And I had night weaned him a few months previous.

I guess I am just looking for any other mothers to confirm if they have been able to wean themselves off domperidone after taking it for more than a year... what method did you use for dropping pills down?

Default Re: stopping domperidone after 13 months--don't want to wean

Bumping... Anyone have experience with weaning off domperidone?
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Default Re: stopping domperidone after 13 months--don't want to wean

http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...ping&Itemid=17 is Dr Newman's protocol. I would drop a pill every few days and just keep a close eye on it. At 13 mos I would start worrying quite a bit less about supply.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.