Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much should a 3 month old be eating?

Default How much should a 3 month old be eating?

My dd is 3 months and stays at daycare from 7:45 until 5:15 everyday. I send 16 oz of breast milk with her each day and am able to pump that much each day at work. She has started eating 3 - 8 oz bottles each day at daycare. That's 24 oz in 9 1/2 hours. I have had to start supplementing one 8 oz bottle of formula just to get her through the day. I wanted her to be exclusively on bm, but I can't keep up with her. It breaks my heart to have to give her formula.

I breastfeed her right before we leave for daycare each morning and we only live 5 minutes from the babysitter. She usually eats around 6:30 in the evenings and seems to cluster feed in the evenings eating every 1 1/2 to 2 hours. She doesn't sleep through the night yet, but some nights she'll sleep from 9:00 until 4:00. Is she eating too much? I just really don't know what is normal at this point. Does anyone else have a lo that eats this much?

I have to share this too.... she started rolling over yesterday. It is so cute to watch her. It is so exciting when they start reaching milestones.

Thanks for any insight you might have.

Default Re: How much should a 3 month old be eating?

hi,

my son would eat 16-24 oz in an 8 hour period when he was around 3 months also. i pump at work and would only get between 12-16 oz so I have to pump more when i get home. but I also have a freezer stash in case i'm too tired to pump. he's now 7 1/2 months and doesn't eat that much anymore but i still have to pump 3-4 times a day just to get enough for his next day feeding. so, to answer your question regarding whether it's normal or not, i think it's normal and it differs from baby to baby.
    i would definitely try to pump more often.

good luck!

my son eat a 4 oz bottle every 3 hours or so. 8 oz seems like an awful lot for a 3 month old. is he keeping it down or is he throwing up. i know i tried to increase my sons to 4 1/2 to soon and he kept throwing it up because it was to much.

my son is 4 months old and i am an exculsive pumper. he eats typically 7 - 4 1/2 oz bottles a day. that is 31 1/2 total.

She doesn't throw up after eating 8 ounces. If we only feed her 4 oz. she is fussy and just not content until she gets 8 ounces. I guess she's just a big eater.

I really can't pump at home in the evenings because she cluster feeds and for some reason my milk supply seems lower in the evenings. When I do try to pump I don't get anything out.

Thanks for the repsponses.

Smile Re: How much should a 3 month old be eating?

My eight-week old eats 6+ ounces every three hours, usually. She's a big girl, but the doctor says she's healthy and not overweight.

I think they're good at letting you know what you need.

I read somewhere that you can't overfeed a breastfed baby, but I don't know if it's completely true.