Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Tips for getting toddler to drink expressed milk?

Default Tips for getting toddler to drink expressed milk?

So, my 14 month old son and I are still enjoying a great breastfeeding relationship. He nurses morning and night and before his 2 naps. I still pump once a day at work to keep my supply up, but my little guy absolutely refuses to drink the expressed milk. He won't take it from a bottle, a sippy, a straw a regular cup... He won;t drink any other type of milk (goats, cow, soy, hemp, almond, etc) from any of those containers either. I am always just sneaking it into his food, but there is only so much milk you can put in scrambled eggs and the like!

Any ideas on how to get my little guy to drink the expressed milk? I hate feeling like I am doing it "for nothing" and I don't understand why he doesn't like it when it's not from the boob. Same stuff!! I'd love for him to drink it, but the truth is, nutritionally, I am not concerned. He eats TONS of cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese.

Default Re: Tips for getting toddler to drink expressed milk?

It's common for toddlers to start refusing expressed milk at some point, even when they are still happily nursing. My LO lost interest in expressed milk too, many months ago (I can't remember when, exactly, but I think it was around 15 months), and is still happily nursing. There IS a difference between milk from a cup and milk from the breast - and toddlers know it! Cups are not warm and cuddly like mom is. As I'm sure you've discovered, it's hard to get a toddler to do what he doesn't want to do. If you are not worried about the nutrition - and it doesn't sound like there is any reason for you to be - you might consider this an opportunity to drop your last pump. No reason not to keep nursing when you are at home.

If you are like me, and your supply is too sensitive to drop that pump just yet, you could always just freeze the milk, or maybe donate it?
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

Have you tried someone else offer the bottle when you're not around?
    Maybe you can check his mouth too. He might have a little sore somewhere that makes taking an artificial nipple uncomfortable.
    Or, he could be teething.