Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding and supplementing

Default Breastfeeding and supplementing

My baby is three months old. When I took him to his first doctor visit he lost 9% of his body weight. The ped immediately encouraged us to supplement. I am a first time mom and I panicked and gave in to the whole formula feeding while trying to establish breastfeeding.
    My question is the following: is it too late establishing my milk supply?Will I ever be able to feed my baby just only breast milk? I am taking fenugreek, drinking mother's milk tea and pumping. I am doing all the recommendations and there is a slight increase but nothing like I would like to see happening. Any suggestions will be much appreciated!

Default Re: Breastfeeding and supplementing

Definitely not too late! You can restart breastfeeding from scratch, so the fact that you have milk puts you ahead in the game.

Here's what you want to do:
    - If baby will nurse, nurse him as much as possible. Offer the breast before and after every bottle.
    - If baby will not nurse, this link has great tips for getting him back to the breast: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/
    - Pump as much as possible using a very good double electric pump (hospital-grade rental is best) with correctly sized breast shields. Aim for 8-12 pumping sessions per day. Don't worry if sometimes you fall short, and don't be afraid to throw in extra sessions whenever you have a spare moment.
    - If you are using hormonal contraception, consider switching to another method. For some moms, hormonal contraception can put a damper on supply.
    - BE PATIENT. Supply doesn't vanish in a day and it doesn't come back in a day, either. You are looking for small, incremental increases, not instant rewards.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you so much for your response and encouragement! I am so happy to hear that I can re-establish my milk supply. I will do what you have suggested. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for making me feel hopeful! And yes, I will be patient. Blessings to you!

Keep in touch and let us know how it's going!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"