Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: forceful letdown tips?

Default forceful letdown tips?

Baby is now nearly 3 moths old and we're hitting our stride with breastfeeding. One minor issue: When I get a second letdown about 15 minutes in it seems to catch her by surprise and she tends to choke. She catches her breath soon enough, but it makes her gasp and cry and I wish I could keep it from happening. I don't like laid back breastfeeding for the whole nursing session because she doesn't get much without gravity helping...until that second big letdown. I've tried watching for it and leaning back before the letdown comes, but I'm either distracted and miss it, or it doesn't help. Any other tricks to try to help out?

Also, I have a question about sidelying nursing, but I'll post that in a second thread. THANKS!!

Default Re: forceful letdown tips?

What if you take baby off the breast momentarily while the milk lets down, catch any leaking milk with a towel and then put baby back on?

Just curious what makes you think she isn't getting much when you recline? Also you don't have to lay down all the way, even a little recline might help her handle the letdown.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*avesnovuelan View Post
    Just curious what makes you think she isn't getting much when you recline? Also you don't have to lay down all the way, even a little recline might help her handle the letdown.
    When I don't lean forward I see very little swallowing. It's getting better as she gets bigger, and when I have nothing but time I don't mind if it takes her an hour or more, but during the day I don't often have that kind of time.

Meg, that works when I'm paying enough attention to catch it before it happens. Maybe I need to start paying more attention!