Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Another extended breastfeeding and ovulation question

Default Another extended breastfeeding and ovulation question

Hi,
    I've got a 2 year old (2 years 2 months). Over Christmas he reduced his nursing times down to just mornings and evenings, so when he wakes up and as he goes to sleep. Before this he would nurse pretty frequently through the day so it was a big change for him to go down to just twice.

I'd like to get pregnant again but haven't yet had my cycle start back up again since having him.

I don't want to wean him from his two nursing sessions per day and I can't see him doing that himself anyway as he relies quite heavily on them (gets very upset if I try to stay asleep when he wants his morning milky!!).

What I'd like to know, is if anybody knows/has experience of whether just these two sessions a day will be enough to keep my body from ovulating until he completely weans?

Any ideas/thoughts/insight welcome...

Thanks

Default Re: Another extended breastfeeding and ovulation question

Welcome to the forum!

The time until return of fertility varies a lot from mom to mom. There are nursing moms who get their cycles back at a few weeks or months postpartum, and some who don't get them back until their babies are completely weaned. On average, nursing moms get their cycles back at around 15.5 months postpartum. They also tend to get them back relatively soon after their nurslings drop way down in frequency- say, when they start sleeping through the night or really pick up their intake of solids. Since your toddler has only recently dropped his frequency down, there's a good chance that your body is still gearing up to have a cycle, and if you just give it some time, it will.

That being said, if you're concerned about your chances of having a second child, I recommend that you get yourself a copy of Toni Weschler's excellent book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" and use it to start charting. Even without having had a postpartum cycle, you may be able to pick up on the signs that your body is getting ready to cycle.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Another extended breastfeeding and ovulation question

Thanks, I think it's just the not knowing that's frustrating!

I do actually have TCOYF but have loaned it to a friend. She's 24 weeks pregnant with twins now so it must work really well!

I think/know I just need to be patient. It's tough though!

Thanks for your reassurance.