Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BIG problems with thrush

Default BIG problems with thrush

Hi, this is my first time posting here so I hope I am in the right forum.

I am 21 weeks pg with my second child. With my first, Gus, I developed terrible thrush with NO outward sign other than pain. It felt like someone was taking a razor and shaving off the skin of my nipples layer by layer for the duration of his nursing. I also developed 'odd' problems in other areas of my body; constant yeast infection, fizshers that wouldn't heal, burning on the inside of my ears, eye problems, abnormally sensitive and bleeding gums (dentist FINALY verified I had thrush in my gums). I basically was overrun from eyes to a##. I kept getting prescriptions of Diflucan, but it was never in a large enough dose; started with 1 pill, nothing, then 3 pills, nothing, then a week worth of 200mg pills, it got a little better but came back full force as soon as I stopped taking them. Then I FINALY got a mid-wife, through my LC, to prescribe 2 weeks of 400mg pills twice a day. At this point I had been having to pump my breast milk and then throw it out off and on for three months, but I refused to stop trying to clear up the thrush so my son could finally breast feed. After that large dose I was free of thrush for 4 months. Then it slowly came back. By this time my son was about 10 months so I just put up with the pain until he turned 1. whew.

After he quit nursing, the other problems just kinda took a back seat so I've been living with a moderate case of thrush since April of '05. But now that I'm pregnant again it seems to have exploded again. I now have a green crusty substance that seems like it's coming out from my nipples. I really want to be able to nurse my daughter but with the thrush already as bad as it is I just don't think I will be able to.

Default Re: BIG problems with thrush

I'm so sorry to hear of your thrush probs. I have a 7 week old and we've been trying to get rid of the thrush since week 3, although yours sounds like a much worse case than mine. Have you tried some of the homeopathic remedies that are out there? I've read a lot of women (including my grandmother- a midwife and neonatal nurse) that swear by gentian violet, but it is messy and purple. I haven't tried it yet, so I don't know how well it works. I've also read that taking acidopholus powder/liquid/in milk can work for you and for baby. Also, try to avoid antibiotics unless it's definitely necessary- that's what started all my thrush probs, 24 hours of constant pennicillin while in the hospital. Anyway, if you are seeing a midwife now for your pregnancy, maybe she can help you get rid of it before the baby comes. Good Luck!

Yes I've used the GV. And aside from the comic relief of purple nipples, it didn't do any good.
    My thrush started because every time I get a catheter, c-section and appendectomy, I get a horrible infection. I thought I also should mention that I am a pale skinned red head and I have heard that we are prone to thrush.
    I am not working with a mid wife for this pregnancy just yet. I have moved so I will have to start with a new LC and MW.
    What I would like to happen is to be seen by an actual MD expert on thrush like Dr. Hale or Dr. Jack Newman, who will actually have the capability to diagnose and treat me. But I don't really know how to go about finding such an available expert.
    Last edited by jem; November 28th, 2006 at 11:46 AM.

I am SO SORRY that you are going through this pain. I cannot even imagine thrush being so horrible! I had it with my first DD and a little with my second DD but never to the extent that you describe.

I apologize - I do not have any information on how to treat such a bad case of thrush, but I just wanted to wish you the best of luck.

It's wonderful that you want to BF your LO even though you have such troubles. Hats off to you and good luck on your upcoming arrival.

I hope someone chimes in with some great advice. Other than contacting an LLL leader near you or seeing an IBCLC or OB (which it sounds like you have already done in the past), I don't know what other avenues are available to you aside from homeopathic treatments. Although the way you describe your symptoms, I am not sure many home remedies will combat your symptoms.

HUGS to you & GOOD LUCK!!!!

I don't pretend to be an expert either, but there may be some things you haven't tried. I have thrush right now but not like you have had it.
    Anyway, I have based my home treatments on suggestions from Dr. Newman's Candida Protocal, Dr. Jay Gordon's thrush information, and some other online resources. My understanding is that it is very important to use all different tactics at once to eradicate thrush overgrowth.
    You already know about Diflucan. Newman has a sheet you can print off for your physician about dosing, etc. Also, Newman's All Purpose Nipple Ointment (APNO) is highly recommended, as well as a probiotic supplement.
    Some other things you can try or ask a physician/LC about:
    -Wash nipples with distilled water/vinegar/grapefruit seed extract (optional) mixture to kill yeast. Use a topical anti-fungal cream on nipples. Use a bit of Pure Vitamin E on nipples if they become dry and cracked (this is messy but works great to prevent dryness!).
    -Wash bedding, towels, undergarments, or whatever you think may be harboring yeast in HOT water with a cup of vinegar and GSE added to the wash load. Wash after each use.
    -Take a probiotic supplement like acidophilus. You can also try taking oral GSE in liquid or pill form.
    -Consider eating a low carbohydrate diet during treatment (yeast feeds on sugar/carbs).
    These are just some different things to try to fight the yeast on all fronts (sounds like you will need to).
    Is it possible that you have a hormonal imbalance? I've read that excess estrogen can cause yeast overgrowth.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Thanks to everyone for their sympathy and suggestions. Looking back I still can't believe that I carried on for as long as I did when everyone told me to stop. They were afraid it would cause psychological damage. I sure hope it didn’t. I guess I'm just hard headed.
    I have done so many things to try to battle this that they have all started running together. And over the last two years I have forgotten so much. So I greatly appreciate you gals outlining all my options to hopefully get rid of this BEFORE my daughter comes. So let me see if I have it:

*I will wash bedding, clothing, etc in hot water with a cup of vinegar and GSE added to the wash load. How much GSE, do I use it in liquid form, and please refresh my memory where I get GSE?

*I will wash my nipples with distilled water/vinegar/gse mixture. What are the ratios of the mixture and how often do I wash?

*Use a topical anti-fungal cream on nipples. Like Lotrimin Ultra? How often?

*Take a probiotic supplement like acidophilus. Where do I get acidophilus?

*You can also try taking oral GSE in liquid or pill form. Which works better, liquid or pill or another form? And can I take both oral gse AND acidophilus?

*Use Newman's All Purpose Nipple Ointment (APNO). Where do I get this and how often do I use it?

*Should I throw in some GV just for good measure? Will the stuff I have from 2-3 years ago still be effective?

I don't believe I have a hormonal imbalance? In fact, I think one of the reasons I get such bad morning sickness is because my body isn’t used to the fluctuations. Is there a way to tell? They do say that you produce more estrogen when gestating a girl.

And I should be able to do all of this while pregnant? I will of course run it all by my OBGYN but English isn’t her first language so it really helps to have everything lined up beforehand to cut down on any miscommunication. Thanks again to everyone for all your time
    Last edited by jem; November 29th, 2006 at 03:10 PM.

Kellymom's Thrush Resources

Dr. Jack Newman's Candida Protocol

Dr. Jay Gordon's Thrush Resources(more info on treatment w/GSE)

Please don't take my word on all of this, but look through these links, talk to your care provider, and develop a plan that way. In particular, I am not pregnant and I do not know if any of these methods are not recommended during pregnancy. Also, I have been doing a lot of this and my thrush has not completely cleared up yet, so who knows? But, to answer some of your questions:

*Laundry: Newman says 15-20 drops of GSE per wash load (yes use the liquid). I got mine at the local homeopathic pharmacy (it is Nutribiotic brand).

*Washing nipples: The info I've seen says to wash nipples after each feeding, but that does not apply to you so I don't know for sure. I mixed 5 ounces of distilled water with 3 ounces of white vinegar and 10-15 drops of GSE, but I'm not sure if that's right.

*Anti-fungal cream: I think Lotrimin is okay, I've been using miconozale (Monistat) about 4 times per day. APNO is explained in Newman's protocol and is available by prescription only.

*Acidophilus and GSE supplements: (more info in links) I got these at a local homeopathic pharmacy, but I know that acidophilus is widely available. The woman at the pharmacy advised me that the two should be taken as far apart from each other as possible, though, because they can counteract if taken together (because the GSE is essentially an antibiotic). I take the GSE in pill form because it's easier.
    Again, I am NOT a doctor (not even close) so please check with yours and the pharmacist about the safety of all of this during pregnancy, especially the GSE.
    Good luck!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on