Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Frozen Breastmilk Being Rejected By Baby

Question Frozen Breastmilk Being Rejected By Baby

Hi,
    I'm a breastfeeding mom and an RN in an OB/GYN office looking for some info for a problem a patient of mine is experiencing. She has been freezing her milk, has 100+ bags in her freezer, every bag she thaws she says is "bad". Smells and taste horrible. The baby is rejecting all frozen milk but willl accept fresh milk. Any suggestions on what could be going on?

We've seached books and spoke with my local LL leader without success. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Amy

Default Re: Frozen Breastmilk Being Rejected By Baby

I don't know why, but when I froze my breastmilk it changed the taste. It had a slight aftertaste, and my daughter rejected it. The milk was still good, but the taste changed. She would never take it in a bottle, but once we got to the cereal stage, I used it to mix her cereal. She didn't seem to mind it then.

Default Re: Frozen Breastmilk Being Rejected By Baby

Hi Amy,

Wow! That's a lot of milk!

Here's something from LLL's BREASTFEEDING ANSWER BOOK...
    "When milk smells rancid after cooling or freezing, this may be a sign that the mother has high lipase activity in her milk. Lipase is an enzyme that breaks down the fat in the milk. Some mothers notice this as soon as their milk has cooled. Other notice it only after it has been frozen. A mother with this problem can prevent it from occurring in the future by heating her expressed milk to a scald (not boil) right after collecting it and then quickly cooling and freezing it, which inactivates the lipase. Once the milk has acquired the rancid smell, however, treating the milk will not help."

There's further info here at this non-LLL resource which may be helpful. In addition to lipase it talks about storage containers and storage conditions.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/l...essedmilk.html

HTH!
    Mary