Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: what does thrush look like?

Question what does thrush look like?

I consulted Dr. Google for some help in relieving what I thought was a relatively minor issue and now I'm a little concerned that what I thought was minor might be thrush... My daughter does not seem to have any of the signs or symptoms, but I think I might have a few. My nipples are super-duper sensitive to the touch. A brush of my arm or clothing bothers them (it's not painful to touch them, just very tender). They are bright pink and have the appearance of being bruised. They are dry and mildly cracked, but not too bad. I use lanolin when they get especially dry, but I mostly just use a dab of leftover milk after a feeding, blow on them a bit and put them back in my bra. I try to allow some time during the day to let them air dry when I'm at home, but it's not always practical to do so.

I have severe, but brief pain when my daughter first latches on. It lasts maybe 20 seconds and it's gone. But it starts out extremely painful. I am 95% sure that she is latching correctly. I hold my nipple flat, wait until her mouth is wide open and get us much in her mouth as possible. She is not pinching and both her nose and chin touch my breast while she's feeding. If she's nursing for a while, stops, and begins again, then it will hurt when she begins again.

My nipples do not look shiny, I do not have shooting pains in my breasts. I do have soreness in my breasts which I think is from having to massage them before she nurses to encourage let-down. (Long story short -she was weened off the nipple shield and had a hard time nursing without it because she had to work so hard to bring the milk down herself without it.) I don't have any white spots on my nipples. They are lighter colored in the center and gradually get darker. (I don't think I've ever described my nipples in such great detail before!! lol!!)

Anyway, I'm probably just being paranoid, but after reading some of the signs and symptoms I was just a little concerned. I had my postpartum exam yesterday and the doctor made no mention of issue, but he only took a quick peak.

So... paranoia or give the doctor a call back??
    Lisa & David Est. 9/3/11
    Madeline 12/31/13

Default Re: what does thrush look like?

Call the doc. If you don't get a knowledgeable response from the ob, call your baby's pediatrician; he/she might be more familiar with thrush than your ob.

What you describe is very suggestive of thrush, but it sounds like you also have some latch issues and also vasospasms (http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/moth...ple-blanching/) going on.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

The article describes pain after nursing, but the pain I feel is immediate and brief as soon as she latches on and then disappears after a few seconds. When she is finishes nursing, my nipple is not misshapen or discolored. If anything it feels the most comfortable immediately after nursing because her mouth provides a soft, warm massage on my nipples which are otherwise very tender.
    Lisa & David Est. 9/3/11
    Madeline 12/31/13

I should have gone into a little more detail. So the pain you get right at the beginning of a feeding- that's something people call the "sizzle". The sizzle generally lasts for the first 10-60 seconds, and it's the feeling of the nipple starting out too shallow in the baby's mouth, and being compressed and hurt until the baby's sucking finally draws it back into the ideal position on the back of her tongue. The sizzle can re-occur during the feeding if the baby relaxes her latch, allowing the nipple to slip back onto the front of her tongue.

That being said, the following symptoms are suggestive of thrush: nipples which appear more pink and dry than usual, dry skin in the nipple area, and cracks. If you've had a recent course of antibiotics (including for GBS+ at the time of birth) or a recent yeast infection, that would elevate the possibility that this is thrush.

When the baby finishes nursing, do you see blanching at the tip of the nipple? In your first post you mention your nipples being lighter colored in the middle and then gradually darkening- that's a very good description of a vasospasm. The nipple starts out very pale in the center or at the tip, and gradually darkens and returns to a normal color.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Sizzle... never heard of it! But I suppose what you're saying makes perfect sense.

I have not had a recent course of antibiotics or a yeast infection. I'll give it the weekend and if I notice worsening symptoms I will give my OB and her pediatrician a call.

When the baby finishes nursing I do not notice the blanching. They look darker when she's done and feel much relief compared to how they feel when she first latches on!

Mommal, I think you've responded to nearly every one of my posts! Thank you for your helpful replies. Are you a certified lactation consultant?
    Lisa & David Est. 9/3/11
    Madeline 12/31/13

No, but I am waiting on my LLL leader certification! For now, merely a foot soldier in the breastfeeding army.

I just wanted to say something about your lanolin use. Generally it is recommended that lanolin be used every time baby nurses or mom takes a shower anytime. Basically you want to keep your nipples covered with A thin layer of lanolin most of the time in order to have it do what it is supposed to do which is promote healing of cracks or injuries via moist wound healing, And it can work quite well for that purpose.
    The problem is lanolin use would probably worsen thrush. This is why many moms use all-purpose nipple ointment (APNO) instead, since it contains a topical thrush treatment. But it has to be prescribed and compounded.
    Because you are a little unsure if it is thrush or not, I would suggest visiting Jack Newman website and reading his Candida protocol. You could try some of the nonprescription treatments and see if they help at all maybe. By the way I am not a certified lactation consultant either. If you are able to see one I would strongly suggest that.