Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning at 12 months old

Default Weaning at 12 months old

I have been breastfeeding my DS since day 1. He hardly gets a bottle. We now nurse about 3-5 times a day. Recently however, he has been waking about 5+ times a night to nurse! He is not going through a wonder week that I know of. I wanted to do the Dr Jay Gordon method, http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html, except that he doesn't recommend doing the sleep method in a separate room. We can't room share and he absolutely refuses to bed share. So our only option is having his crib in another room. We literally have no room in our room to do so.
    Any suggestions? He is so used to waking and nursing, but I would really like to get a full night's sleep. My first son slept all night, literally all night. I am so tired. Thanks so much for any help!
    Mommy to our DS1 (38 weeks 5 days, 6lbs 11.3oz)! Feb. 12, 2009. Formula fed from the start
    Our DS2 (39 weeks 6 days, 8lbs 8.7oz) Jan. 24, 2014. from the start

Two Angel babies

Love being a mommy!

Default Re: Weaning at 12 months old

It's very likely that the increased night wakings are due to his `1st year molars breaking and him being in near constant pain as a result. Try dosing him with motrin before bed and it doesn't get his jags between nursing sessions shorts. Honestly if it's not teeth my 2nd guess is an ear infection you aren't aware of. That much night waking that is "all of a sudden" is almost always due to pain or discomfort.

Way too lazy for formula

A sudden increase in night-waking could definitely be teething or an ear infection.

If you decide to night-wean and can't put a crib in your room, how about putting a mattress on the floor of your baby's room?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Sadly it it not either teething or an ear infection lol. He has slowly been increasing the amount of times he wakes up over the past while. He went from sleeping all night at 6 months to waking every night. Then twice a night, then it just increased from there. He's not in pain when he wakes, just wants to eat. He doesn't scream or cry. I think he's feeling lonely maybe, though I'm not sure. I have also tried sleeping in his room, if anything it only increased the amount of times he's awoken to nurse lol! This boy is definitely a tough cookie to crack! Thank you for the input ladies!!!
    Mommy to our DS1 (38 weeks 5 days, 6lbs 11.3oz)! Feb. 12, 2009. Formula fed from the start

Two Angel babies

Love being a mommy!

The Jay Gordon method works whether you're co-sleeping or not. I'd give it a shot and just change the details to fit your circumstances.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thanks a bunch We tried it last night and for the most part it worked. I think I am going to set up a cot in his room this week to assist in his night time routine.

Two Angel babies

Love being a mommy!