Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Any supplements ok to use in pregnancy but not bf'ing?

Default Any supplements ok to use in pregnancy but not bf'ing?

Is there a reason why a supplement would be ok to use in pregnancy but not while breastfeeding? I'm specifically wondering about the use of SAM-e and can't find any real information aside from LactMed saying that it should be ok post-2 months. I find it curious since there have been studies showing the use of SAM-e to be safe in the third trimester but no studies in breastfeeding women. It would seem logical that if it is ok for baby in the womb, it would be ok once born. Is my logic faulty? Are there instances in which something is safe during pregnancy but not safe during breastfeeding?

Default Re: Any supplements ok to use in pregnancy but not bf'ing?

The one problem I can see is that some supplements are bad for milk supply. For example, peppermint and sage are 2 herbs that are often used to help a mom dry up her milk. They're not teratogenic or toxic or anything, so they're fine for use in pregnancy.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I never could find info on Sam e and nursing either. Did u check with infant risk?

How about slow-mag? I found plenty of other magnesium products on lact med but not magnesium chloride.

Here's what I found on Sam E. Not a lot of info but it sounds like it should be safe. http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/si...temp/~Y0CaVa:1

Sorry just retread your post and saw you already checked lact med..so I am no help. Have you asked your doc or midwife what they think?

I asked my ob and they told me that due to the lack of research, they couldn't recommend during breastfeeding but they did ok it in my final trimester. I will check with infant risk ctr and see what they say.

I called the Infant Risk Center and was told that SAM-e is an L3 due to the lack of controlled studies. So again, it's probably safe but no studies have been done to be sure. The woman on the phone was very helpful and said that because it is naturally occurring in the body, it is likely ok but she was unable to say one way or the other. So now I'm left with the judgement call. What would you do?

What are you taking it for? If it is for emotional concerns/ postpartum depression, which do you suppose is worse for baby? Having a depressed mama or this probably safe supplement? That is a decision only you can make of course, but studies have shown kiddos do suffer when moms have untreated depression. It is also important to take into consideration how well it works for you. Is it worth taking if it only helps you feel 10% better? Obviously we don't know your individual situation, these are just the factors I would consider if I were contemplating taking any medication.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*avesnovuelan View Post
    What are you taking it for? If it is for emotional concerns/ postpartum depression, which do you suppose is worse for baby? Having a depressed mama or this probably safe supplement? That is a decision only you can make of course, but studies have shown kiddos do suffer when moms have untreated depression. It is also important to take into consideration how well it works for you. Is it worth taking if it only helps you feel 10% better? Obviously we don't know your individual situation, these are just the factors I would consider if I were contemplating taking any medication.
    I have taken it for emotional well-being in the past and it's made a world of difference. I am leaning toward taking it but would never forgive myself if it ended up being bad for the baby. Still, mostly everything I read says it should be ok. Thanks for helping with your input!