Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: flu, decreased supply

Default flu, decreased supply

Ladies,

Sick mama over here with the flu. Have been basically bed ridden Monday and Tuesday, just able to get up and move around today. Actually feeling a lot better tonight but have managed to eat very little over the past 3-4 days. Have been staying hydrated, I think, though could probably be doing better. I took one 30mg dose of decongestant on Monday night.

Anyway, am nursing my 26 month old and I suspect I've had a supply drop as a result of all this. Is this still just a matter of stimulation, stimulation, stimulation to get things back to normal? Anything else I should try?

Thanks!

Default Re: flu, decreased supply

Supply is always about demand and stimulation. If your toddler nurses more, you'll make more. But don't worry too much about supply at this point. With older babies, the connection and cuddling that comes with nursing is just as important, if not even more important, than the nutritional aspect.

Stay hydrated, and drink some fenugreek tea and eat a bowl of oatmeal if you want to try for an additional boost. Can't hurt, might help.

Sorry about the flu! I had it this year and it was awful. I haven't been that sick in fifteen years!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Being ill sucks. It's three times worse when you've got a little one to care for!

I second the oatmeal. Maybe I'm just sensitive to it, but I can always tell that there's an increase in my supply after I've had it for breakfast. And try to drink as much as you can!

Hope you're feeling your normal self soon!
    Breastfeeding, babywearing, sci-fi loving, total geek of a mom!

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. — Dr. Seuss

Thanks, ladies. My husband has actually been really, really helpful taking as much time off work as he can. We're totally on our own today (and most of yesterday) but at least the really horrible part is over.

Anyway, one more question -- can I take a cough suppressant (like Nyquil) at night, do you think? Jack doesn't nurse after bed until morning, so I could take it after I nurse him down and then not nurse for about 11 hours. I am just not able to sleep at all due to cough, so it would be great if I could. It seems the problem with these is possible effects on baby not supply (unlike the pseudophedrine). What do you think?

I say go for it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"