Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sudafed

Default Sudafed

I'm guessing I should steer clear of it?

I have been having intense sinus pain for close to a week now, and I am getting desperate. My doc suggested that I take it only when things are at their worst because of the potential impact on milk supply. I'm hesitant to take it all since my supply is already so low with only nursing a few times a day.

I don't want to give in and take it if I will end up regretting it later. Experiences?

Default Re: Sudafed

I took it a few times several months ago and did not notice any difference with my milk supply... but I was pumping 3 times a day then, plus nursing at night.

I can't take Sudafed (pseudoephedrine) because it leads to insomnia for me. I rely primarily on nasal rinses. You can find this one in most drugs stores: http://www.neilmed.com/usa/sinusrinse_isotonic.php

Sudafed PE (Phenylephrine) is not supposed to dry up supply (or your sinuses) like regular Sudafed, however it is a newer drug and therefore has less research behind it in general. If the sinus rinse doesn't help then this might be a good option.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

Sudafed (pseudoephedrine) is a known supply decreaser. You might want to talk to the Infant Risk folks www.infantrisk.com to find out how much you need to take to see a decrease in supply, or whether they have other suggestions that are more breastfeeding-friendly.

I took Sudafed (the pseudoephedrine version) for 24 hours once when DS was about 15 months old (not knowing the effect on milk supply) and I swear my supply dropped by about half within a day. I had a robust supply, too. Led to a couple days of a very fussy baby while he worked to get my supply back up. I wouldn't chance it. On the other hand, I have taken phenylephrine (Sudafed PE) multiple times and not noticed any effect on supply whatsoever. It's not as effective as pseudoephedrine but it's better than nothing. The other option you might consider is a nasal spray, such as Afrin. You can only take it for 3 days but it helps a lot. Vicks also makes a fantastic product called the Vicks Vapohaler that you put in your nose and inhale. It smells like menthol or something and opens your sinuses right up. The drug in it is similar to an amphetamine but I think the systemic concentration is so low (since you're inhaling, not ingesting it) that it's still fine. You may want to check with the folks at InfantRisk about all of these options, just to be sure
    First-time mama to Joshua, 10/29/11. 29 months and going strong! for 14 months; now finished with pump weaning!

I second the sinus rinse! The Neti Pot is the BOMB!

I also took Sudafed when things were at their worst. Never noticed a decrease in supply, but I kept my use minimal- I'd take one before bed at that was it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Benadryl is also safe, although it will probably make you too sleepy to take during the day. And I agree that sinus rinses are great too
    First-time mama to Joshua, 10/29/11. 29 months and going strong! for 14 months; now finished with pump weaning!

Thanks for the suggestions!

I bought a neti pot the other day with very high hopes, and didn't feel like it was doing much. I only ended up using it twice since it seemed like nothing was happening. I think my expectations may have been a little high though, so maybe I should keep it up.