Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My 24mo has not nursed in 4 days, but I still have milk!

Default My 24mo has not nursed in 4 days, but I still have milk!

My 24mo has not nursed in almost 4 consecutive days, and, though I do not feel engorged or uncomfortable, but I can tell that I still have milk because (a) my right breast seems to be slightly "fuller" than my left, and (b) Last night, I was just curious if there was any milk in there still so I tried squeezing both sides a little bit and there was milk that oozed out of both sides.

Just wondering if this is normal, if any of you have experienced it before, and if so, how long does this usually last after the last nursing session? Will the milk eventually "dry up" after a few more days, or is it bad for the breast (risk of infection?) whatever is still left in the breasts to remain in there? Prior to the last time I nursed, I had gone down to nursing once a day or once every other day for at least several days. I thought that by the 2nd or 3rd day after not nursing, I wouldn't have milk anymore, but apparently this has not been the case. I am fine with nursing once or a few more times if that is what it takes to get the remaining milk out of the breasts, but I also don't want for it to increase my supply (or keep it up) either. Any suggestions or input? Thank you!

Default Re: My 24mo has not nursed in 4 days, but I still have milk!

I worked with a woman who could still express milk 6 years after weaning her baby. Some (most? ) dry up completely but of course there's no way of telling how your body will react. I think since you dropped sessions slowly and aren't experiencing any discomfort, you'd be better off not removing milk.

I could still get a small amount of milk for about 6 months after weaning. A year post-weaning is not uncommon and >1 year is less common but still not out of the ballpark.

Since the weaning was gradual, you probably don't have to worry about infection. But do stay vigilant for a while. If you're going to come down with something, now is probably when it would happen.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hi sagemist! I know some mothers who were still lactating after 3 to 6 months after weaning. So I think your is just normal unless you feel pain and other unusual symptoms. I have also read in an article before that drinking sage tea and cabbage leaves as a compress aid in drying up the milk. Haven't tried it but they say it helps.