Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Flange too large or too small?

Default Flange too large or too small?

Default Re: Flange too large or too small?

Hmm, looks large to me. Like it's pulling in a lot of breast tissue, not just areola. Correct?

How does it feel? And how has your pumping output been?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Too large. Have you been using them for a while?

Can anyone advise on this? I thought mine fit ok but yesterday and today they started feeling a bit sore around the base of the nipple. Here's a video of how it looks while pumping:

Thank you!

The video will not play on my phone but it is very common for moms to need to go up a flange size after returning to work and pumping for a few weeks. If you are uncomfortable and the nipple is rubbing, try tje next size up.
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

ruchiccio, it looks like your nipple is moving freely, but it does look like your nipple is really filling up that tunnel. Is it hard to get it centered so it does not rub? I mistakenly pumped with a too small flange for years, I figured it out because I had to work so hard to get my nipple centered. luckily I only had to pump occasionally.

Have you looked into pumpin pals? I think they are supposed to help with base of nipple pain.

I can't really tell with yours, Erica. Is there a lot of milk around the nipple? To me it looks like just the nipple getting pulled in and it is moving freely, which theoretically is what you want. What is happening that you think it's a problem?

Also, pumping at too high a setting or if the pump has a motor that is wearing out or not working correctly can cause pain and injury!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    ruchiccio, it looks like your nipple is moving freely, but it does look like your nipple is really filling up that tunnel. Is it hard to get it centered so it does not rub? I mistakenly pumped with a too small flange for years, I figured it out because I had to work so hard to get my nipple centered. luckily I only had to pump occasionally.

Have you looked into pumpin pals? I think they are supposed to help with base of nipple pain.
    So the pain went away by today. I think it was my son who was causing it with his new, stronger, way of eating since he got his tongue tie released on Monday However, it IS hard for me to center the nipple in the flange opening so I ordered the next size and will see if it fits better. I don't have a pumpin pal but tomorrow I plan to try sticking in the Avent petal silicone insert that comes with the manual pump.

I used the larger flange and don't see much of difference, except that it IS easier to center the nipple in the middle so for that alone I guess it's worth it.