Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! Not letting down for 10 mo baby

Default Help! Not letting down for 10 mo baby

I am so bewildered. I work FT and go in at noon to nurse my baby. Today we tried nursing for 20 minutes and I did not have a let-down. It was not a matter of me not "feeling" it--she was not swallowing and gulping, and I could only hand-express a few small drops. I tried reverse pressure and compression. We were both relaxed going into it. She gave it a good try, but was trying and crying the whole time. I had to go back to work, so gave her an extra bottle of expressed milk I was lucky to have on hand.

WTH could be going on? Everything else has been relatively normal in the last week or two--we did have a month of nursing strikes and supply issues brought on by my period, but I thought we had returned to a normal breastfeeding relationship. We nurse (and I pump) 8-9 times a day.

Help!

Default Re: Help! Not letting down for 10 mo baby

Just curious: How often are you pumping in addition to that noon feeding during the work day? At 10 months I was still pumping 4 times believe it or not, one extra post feeding pump in the early morning hours before work and then 3 during the day. I didn't start to drop a pump until 12 months and now I am down to two pumps a day at 16 months and starting to get ready for all together pump weaning.
    What I know is that reduced demand is what causes supply issues. What are your pumping sessions like? How much do you produce and do you wait for additional let-downs? Have you noticed a decrease? When this incident occurred and you gave her the extra bottle of milk, did you go back and try to pump to make up for it?
    Hang in there. This might be the "pump slump" which does not mean you're going to run out or lose your milk altogether. It might just mean you need to put some extra work in for a little bit if you are in fact having a supply issue.
    We and with our little monkey, born 9/30/2012.

I am pumping at 9:30 and 2:30 in addition to going in at noon. We nurse three times after midnight before she goes to daycare, and three times after we reunite at the end of the day. I wasn't able to pump to make up for the bottle today because I had a meeting right after. Every other time we haven't had a good nurse I have pumped after; this is the only time I haven't pumped to replace. My supply has been fine; I pump about an ounce per hour, sometimes a tiny bit less, but pretty consistent with her demand. This seemed to be strictly a let-down issue, which is what is so odd.

I double-pump for 15 minutes. I usually let down within about a minute, spray for 5-7 minutes, then get another let-down about three minutes after that.

I also switched sides MANY times during our session to help stimulate a let-down, and still nothing!