Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding and mom's weight

Default Breastfeeding and mom's weight

Hi everyone

I am breastfeeding my 16 month old daughter and the past month she is demanding more milk.This means that I am breastfeeding her twice in an hour and this happens only in the afternoon.The thing is that my appetite has increased a lot and my weight is staying the same.I'm eating all the time and feeling more hungry than ever! I would like to ask if any other mom had the same issue and if so is this normal?

Default Re: Breastfeeding and mom's weight

Sounds normal to me, as long as you are otherwise feeling healthy! Uptick in demand from the baby translates into higher calorie expenditure by mom.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

This has been my experience with my nearly-15 month old. Sometimes I actually lose weight during the highest demand weeks, even this far into the game, and I too am eating constantly, whatever I want.
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

Do any of you still taking prenatal supplements? Or any supplements? In an effort to save money I stopped supplements months ago ( I still take 2000-3000 of Vitamin D drops per day and a probiotic). All those supplements get expensive and I'd rather try to just eat what I need. I wondered about the calcium and iron primarily. Share if you have any thoughts. I could ask a doctor but mostly I find they are focused on why I'm still bfing a 16 month old "so much".
    We and with our little monkey, born 9/30/2012.

I have continued prenatal vitamins. A lot of grocery chains with a pharmacy and drug stores (though more usually grocery chains) are offering them for free now with a prescription from your doc. That is how I get mine and is why I keep taking them. I would see if that is an option near you, and would take that instead of spending money on the Vitamin D drops (are they for you or your kiddo?). Instead of a probiotic supplement I would invest in tasty plain yogurt with live cultures.
    Mom to amazing twins!
    DD nursed for 3y5m, DS still occasionally stops by for a snack

Vitamin D is for me. He also gets some in his prescribed supplements (which is covered by his insurance). I can ask my new doc about prescribing prenatals although I didn't think they would do that for a non-pregnant woman.
    We and with our little monkey, born 9/30/2012.

It was my doc who actually suggested that I (and other breastfeeding mothers) stay on prenatals so long as I am nursing, so it couldn't hurt to try! Good luck.
    Mom to amazing twins!
    DD nursed for 3y5m, DS still occasionally stops by for a snack

I have continued with taking prenatal vitamins, too. Can't hurt, might help, so I have been okay with the continued expense.
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

I used to take prenatals, but I forget so frequently I no longer bother. Probably a good idea though.

The increased appetite, etc. sound normal to me. It wasn't until after DS turned 2 and was down to around 3-5 feeds/day that my appetite slowed down. Even now I can lose weight fairly rapidly on around 1700 calories/day.

When I gave birth my doctor said to stop using prenatal vitamins but I think I am going to start taking the iron supplement again because when I get my period I'm feeling a little dizzy on the first day.I guess taking the vitamins can't hurt anyone especially in periods when the baby is in higher demand of milk.