Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Defrosted milk smells like plastic and tastes bad!

Default Defrosted milk smells like plastic and tastes bad!

I've been pumping for my preemie since he was born and have accumulated a large freezer stash. I decided to try giving him some of the frozen milk, because it's nearing it's expiration date. I had stored the milk in the Lansinoh bags. It was in the freezer attached to my fridge for maybe 2 months. Then I bought a deep freeze and transferred it over. The milk I thawed yesterday was from November 9th. After thawing I noticed it had a strong plastic smell. I tasted the milk and it tasted bad. I really don't want to give it to my baby. It really sucks though, because I worked hard for that milk and I have about a month and a half's worth in the freezer. Looks like maybe I'll have to throw it all out. I'm certainly not going to give it to him while I'm still pumping fresh milk.

Default Re: Defrosted milk smells like plastic and tastes bad!

So sorry, mama! It's really hard to lose any quantity of expressed milk- the work it represents isn't something you just want to pour down the drain.

What you describe sounds like it could be a lipase issue- see http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/m...expressedmilk/. If so, and you're still storing milk today, you may want to scald before storing. Scalding deactivates the lipase enzyme and allows you to store the milk without fear.