Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Breastfeeding & bottle feeding

Default Re: Breastfeeding & bottle feeding

If he doesn't want to nurse, then he's telling you he's full - don't make it into a struggle. Just a casual offer and if he doesn't want it, fine, try again a little later. It's not uncommon for babies to be easier to nurse at night, especially as they get older and more distracted by the world around them during the day. You're doing the right thing by taking advantage of nighttime and naptime nursing.

I never did master nursing in a sling - maybe check out the babywearing forum?

Thank you, bfwmomof3. I guess I am a bit stubborn or pressured about feeding him more because of his weight.
    I will try to relax more and nurse more often casually.

I understand. It's hard when baby's weight percentile drops and the doctor immediately starts questioning YOU especially when they lack basic understanding about breastfeeding. When my daughter dropped percentiles the doctor immediately started grilling me about what I eat, am I trying to lose weight, I should take fenugreek etc - which was all nonsense. Unless you are literally starving your body will make nice fatty milk regardless of what you are eating (and I was eating a perfectly healthy diet, and a lot!), and it would NOT have been a good idea for me to take fenugreek because I always have oversupply. My daughter was just settling out into her "real" percentile. Because of the way breastfed babies grow (fast at the beginning, then slow down) and my oversupply my babies were all very high in the percentiles at 2 months and then they all fell. My 3.5 year old was in the 90th percentile at 2 months and is now in the 10th percentile - so at 4 months and 6 months she was falling in the weight percentiles, but she eventually settled out and just followed a lower percentile curve. Not to say that you shouldn't keep an eye on your baby's weight but if height and head circumference are increasing nicely it could just mean he's thinning out and going to be a thinner and longer baby - nothing wrong with that! But you can't really force a baby to nurse who doesn't want to and you don't want nursing to become a negative experience because babies do go on nursing strikes.

It's SO nice to hear from someone who's experienced similar situation.
    I actually got the impression of our ped's that he's not so understanding/supportive of breastfeeding as well which is really sad...but I'll try to ignore what he'd say about breastfeeding. Also my friends and family from my country believe breastfeeding moms shouldn't eat certain food such as animal fat, sugar, dairy, etc... I'm ignoring them and taking advantage of breastfeeding now so I can enjoy fatty food and generally a big portion of food without gaining much weight! This is one of the skills I finally learnt once I got pregnant - hear what you want to hear! haha
    What a relief to hear that your daughter have experienced a big percentile drop in her weight and it's not unusual.
    My baby has been cooperative with me nursing since I try to nurse more while he's still sleepy so i hope things go well.
    We will go back early next month for weight check again so we will see...