Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 1st Time Mom Seeking Advice/Feedback on Breastfeeding

Default 1st Time Mom Seeking Advice/Feedback on Breastfeeding

Hello - I'm the mom to Olivia, who is 7 weeks old. I have been breastfeeding since day one & it has been very challenging though I've stuck it out & it's getting easier every day. I'm hoping you can help steer me in the right direction or reassure me that I'm doing OK so I can stop stressing! Sorry in advance if this is long, but I'll likely be working on the post all day long as time allows

First, my kid is a sleepy & frequent eater - I'm lucky if she makes it 5 minutes before falling asleep. I've tried removing all clothes & tickling her feet etc. to keep her awake & alert or at least actively sucking for 15-20 minutes. When she's finished with one breast she purses her lips & won't take that one or the other breast when offered. During the day, she sleeps like a champ & I usually have to wake her every 2-3 hours to feed. During the night, she's up every 1.5-2 hours & I'm luck if she isn't fussy (recently started using gas drops @ night which helped with the fussiness). The only time she'll sleep longer than 2 hours @ night is if she's on my chest in which case she can sleep for up to 5-6 hours.

She's a snacker & likes to eat frequently & I'm perfectly fine with it - I feed her when she's hungry & rooting & wants to eat. I'm getting conflicting answers about how long she should eat & it's stressing me out. The doc says 20-30 minutes, Lactation Consultant says 15-20 minutes is OK, so what should I go by when sometimes she doesn't even last the bare minimum & is rarely interested in nursing from both breasts? Even my husband says he's read that she should be eating 30-40 minutes each time & that's not the norm for my baby girl.

She has plenty of dirty diapers & has been gaining weight just fine so far - 7.8 @ birth, 9.7 @ 1M checkup & I'm getting 10.2-10.6 when I weigh her @ 7 weeks @ home. Can I relax & follow her cues or should I be pushing her to eat more/longer? Something I should do differently? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Default Re: 1st Time Mom Seeking Advice/Feedback on Breastfeeding

Sorry - just realized she was actually 6 weeks @ her 1M visit so it was just last Monday. She was in the 8lb range the few times we visited lactation consultant before that.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new baby and on making it to 7 weeks of nursing!

Feeding speed varies widely between babies, even at the very beginning. Some babies get all their needs met in just 5-10 minutes at the breast, others take closer to an hour. This is why moms are usually encouraged to "watch the baby, not the clock." If the baby seems satisfied after nursing, she probably is satisfied. Diaper output and weight gain tell the rest of the story: if baby has normal output and gain, she's getting enough no matter how short or how long her feeds are.

The other general guideline for nursing is to allow the baby to "finish the first breast first." That means allowing the baby to spend unlimited time on breast A, and then offering breast B as dessert. If she takes it, fine. If not, that's fine, too.

It sounds like your baby might be reverse cycling, i.e. being wakeful at night and sleepy by day. If she were mine, I'd try to wake her more during the day, maybe every 1-2 hours, allowing the occasional 3 hour stretch. And I'd also make sure that she got as much natural daylight as possible. The goal being to encourage her to develop a circadian rhythm that matches your sleep needs a little more.

It sounds like you're doing just great! No worries, mama. Enjoy your baby.

Baby is gaining well so yes I think you can relax and follow cues despite sleepiness as long as baby nurses at least 8 times per 24 hour day. (More often would also be fine and normal)Once you stop waking baby you may find she falls into her own natural pattern and is less sleepy. Also Baby May nurse "better" if baby is allowed to wake at her own intervals rather than being awakened-although I do want to assure you that there is nothing wrong with short nursing sessions as long as baby nurses frequently and gains well. I agree with mommal, watch baby not the clock as all seems fine. I think mommals idea for nursing more during day is a good one but I would be curious what happens if you try letting baby find her own rhythm first. baby may well get the idea about day vs. night soon, although of course it will continue to be normal for baby to wake several times at night to nurse for a while yet.