Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Timing when introducing solids

Red face Timing when introducing solids

Hi ladies. My seven and a half month old really just does not like solids.

Over the last month and a half we have tried all the usual suspects. Avocado, apple, pear, sweet potato, banana (he liked the last two briefly!), greek yogurt, all the basics, and a little chicken and turkey. Made by me, from organic foods- nothing store bought. We have tried letting him feed himself with a spoon and mesh feeder (both of which he basically tried to "nurse".) - though he is not ready for small bits yet, as he gags and pukes and gets very upset, so we haven't *really* tried that.

I'm trying to keep it very mellow and low key. We don't try every day. But the ped said his gain has slowed, but it's not a worry as long as we can get him interested in some solids. He's 18.11.

He nurses around the clock. We cosleep and he snacks all night. He has a pretty bad upper lip tie we chose not to have cut. He -really- loves to nurse. So I'm wondering if it's just that he's not ready, or if we are doing something wrong... And if it's something I need to worry about. Is there a deadline? A "baby needs to be interested in solids by ____"?

Sorry... This turned into to a ramble. I'm just stumped!!
    Last edited by @llli*novana; February 1st, 2014 at 04:15 PM.

Default Re: Timing when introducing solids

Welcome to the forum!

The rule with solids is that "until one, they're just for fun". That means that until the first birthday, a baby can be well-nourished by breastmilk (or formula) alone, and solids are just for experimenting with new tastes, textures, and motor skills. The baby doesn't actually need to eat any solids as long as he gets the chance to touch, taste, lick, squish, drop, spit, and otherwise manipulate them. That's what baby-led solids is all about; giving your baby the chance to figure solids out at his own speed.

After the first birthday, many babies continue to be primarily breastfed until close to the middle of the first year; it's not like a baby goes from needing only breastmilk on day 364 of life to needing 3 square meals per day on day 365.

It's totally normal for growth to slow in the middle of the first year. Breastfed babies tend to grow fastest in early infancy, and then slow down as they reach the middle of the first year, often dropping percentiles. The reason this happens is that as babies get more mobile, they start putting more of their calories into motion (reaching, rolling, kicking, crawling, sitting up, etc.) and packing fewer on as fat.

So the short answer to your question is: no. There's no deadline. And it sounds like you're doing just fine!!!! Relax, and let your baby get into solids at his own speed. That's what baby-led solids is all about. That, and taking the pressure off of mom. It's not your responsibility to make your child eat solids. He'll get there on his own.

If the upper lip tie is bad, I encourage you to get it taken care of sooner rather than later. No matter how much you don't want to have it snipped now, it's not going to get easier. My 7.5 year old has a lip tie which made nursing very difficult for us, but which didn't get diagnosed until her permanent teeth came in, with a gap between them. Imagine trying to explain to an anxious 7 year-old that the dentist might come are her lip with a laser...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hi mommal. Thanks for the welcome. I'm not actually new though. You and some of the other ladies helped me through a very rough time when my son was born. He couldn't latch and I was suffering from some pretty bad ppa. I just can't remember my password and I'm unsure what my username was, lol.

Anyway, that's what I thought originally. We have a new ped and I really like him. But he did want to see me at least "start solids".... And it feels like we've stalled at the starting part. My little guy doesn't taste, squish, lick, chew etc. Not yet. And friends and family are being really pushy. I keep telling them he will get to it when he's ready! But sometimes I get discouraged.

We chose not to get it cut because it took his so long to learn how to latch (nearly 2 months) ... I was afraid to endanger what we worked so hard for.

Thanks! I'll keep offering every few days or so. My next challenge is figuring out when he's ready to try out his pincer grasp on some bits of food himself.

Well then, welcome back!!! So glad you got good help here when you were starting out.

"Starting" solid a means that the baby gets the opportunity to try some new tastes, and to manipulate his food. The quantities involved should be small- a few teaspoon-fuls per day is generally more than sufficient. I would try giving your LO some O-shaped cereal and seeing what he does with it- trying to pick it up is good for helping him develop the pincer grasp, and one pace he gets a piece in his fingers he might decide to eat it. Who knows!

If friends and family are being pushy, you can always spin the truth a bit. When pushy Aunt Louise asks "So, is he eating solids yet?" you can respond with "He's doing great with them, thanks for asking!" She doesn't have to know that "doing great" means that he mostly ignores the food on his tray.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'm no expert, first time mom here. My son would not eat solids until I thinned them a bit more. Are you thinning them, too? I used applesauce to thin other fruits or potatoes, and broth to thin avocado and meats. Works well for us. Maybe you do that, too, in which case I figure these babies know what they need! He'll eat when he wants to, I am positive! Good luck.

Was your baby preemie? My twins were and while one was 'ready' for solids the other girl was not and it took her a few weeks until it all clicked for her. I actually remember looking at her one day and the lightbulb going off (or on) for her and all of a sudden she LOVED solids.

My older son was not into solids much at all until he was a year, sound like he was very similar to where your LO is at now. Most people just think it is normal to be spooning gobs of purees into a 4 month old infant and think you are depriving them if that isn't what you are doing!

I suggest the book My Child Won't Eat. I think you may find it interesting and reassuring.

It's so interesting you're writing this now. Just last night I got a call from my sister's friend about the issue of tongue/lip ties since she knows my baby had them and was looking for advice. Her baby is much older than yours (18 months) but doesn't eat any solids unless they are practically liquid (soup, purees, etc.) and after running to feeding therapists and doctors, someone finally figured out that he had an undiagnosed lip and tongue ties. Apparently it affected his eating in a big way. I gave her another push to go ahead with the procedure even if it means general anesthesia (at that age the doctor can't just do it in the office). I really suggest you rethink the idea of the surgery.

That said, many babies are just not interested in foods at that age. At 7-8 months my baby had maybe half a baby jar every few days. He really wasn't interested and I didn't push it. I then casually offered whatever I was eating and he either took it or didn't. At 12 months I was home with him for a 10 day stretch and it was a holiday so lots of wining and dining and it got him more in the mood, I guess, because he ate like never before. Maybe due to the growth spurt going on then (I'm presuming).

Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.
    My breastfeeding experiences: http://www.breastfeedinghacks.com/

Have you looked much into baby led? I know some of the PP's have mentioned it. I would just give a bit of whatever you are eating for him to play with and not expect it to be eaten and do expect to clean it up and just roll with it. He's quite young still to be interested in solids but playing with the food will help him get used to it and give you a few minutes to eat while he plays with it!