Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby Throws Up When She Eats Solids

Default Baby Throws Up When She Eats Solids

Hello! I appreciate any thoughts or ideas you may be able to share. This isn't something I'm losing sleep over, or particularly worried about, but just wanted to share and see what others thought, and if anyone has experienced something similar, and if so, what worked for you.

My little one is seven and a half months old. She's been gaining weight well all along, and is a really jolly baby. I had her iron levels tested at six months, and she was within healthy range. She nurses frequently, anywhere between every 1 and 3 hours a day, sleeps for about 10 hours at night, waking maybe 3 times in that span to nurse. So basically all is good on the nursing front.

We started solids at six months, at first about once every other day, and now about once a day. We're doing BLW and I've read the book, as well as My Child Won't Eat. We nurse before meals, she feeds herself, no purees, etc. She is not super excited about food, but that's no big deal. Thing is, every time she gets even the smallest bit of food in her mouth and swallows, she throws up. I'm talking say, a tiny tiny piece of banana. A dallup of Apple sauce. A tiny piece of chicken. She throws up whatever the tiny offending food is, but then milk with it, because that's really what's in her belly anyway.

What's going on here? Is this something to be concerned with?

Default Re: Baby Throws Up When She Eats Solids

It the throwing up immediately like say she gagged on the food and it caused her to throw up or spit up a bit of the milk she had as well?
    Or is it like she eats and manages to eat a little solids and later after the meal is over she throws up the whole contents of her stomach?

I've experienced the latter (but my LO has been managing to consume quite a lot of solids right from the beginning.) where about an hour after the meal my LO Vomits till his stomach is empty and nothing but bile comes out. I've taken that to mean that something he ate didn't agree with him and I should suspect it as an allergy and avoid that food to give him a chance to outgrow the allergy.

If it is the gag reflex causing the throw up to happen right at the meal then I probably wouldn't be too concerned but figure she isn't quite ready for too much solids.

It is pretty immediate-- food in hand, food in mouth, food swallowed, gagging (not choking- no real concern about airway being covered), and then throw up.

Ordinarily I am not a fan of purees, because they are a more labor-intensive way to feed a baby and I am lazy, but I wonder if they might not be a good idea with your particular baby. Maybe she's throwing up because she isn't able to deal with the textures? If so, some really thinned-out purees might be the gateway to more solid food intake- start with a purée that's mostly breastmilk with a little squash/cereal/whatever mixed in. If she tolerates that, move on to slightly thicker consistencies.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Ordinarily I am not a fan of purees, because they are a more labor-intensive way to feed a baby and I am lazy, but I wonder if they might not be a good idea with your particular baby. Maybe she's throwing up because she isn't able to deal with the textures? If so, some really thinned-out purees might be the gateway to more solid food intake- start with a purée that's mostly breastmilk with a little squash/cereal/whatever mixed in. If she tolerates that, move on to slightly thicker consistencies.
    Or perhaps try smooth mashed foods that are sticky enough to scoop with hands but soft enough to not require any chewing to safely swallow. I know my LO sometimes bites off big enough chunks of pear and banana that make it to the back causing him to gag them up and sometimes I think it is close to causing more than just gagging up what's in his throat but so far we haven't had that kind of throw up actually happen. I have seen his face a few times when he has swallowed chunks that were too big and it puts me in mind of the cartoons where you see the big chunk of something going down the neck. I wouldn't be surprised if such an occurrence caused some people and babies to throw up, it is rather an extreme feeling to swallow something a bit too big, I know I've done it before.

Maybe baby is just not ready for solids yet?

Here is how I look at it. Gag reflex, like the tongue thrust, is a protective reflex. So why not let it protect her.

To be clear I am not against trying purees or highly mashed foods. I just do not see the need. Baby is gaining great, iron great- clearly she is getting all she needs.

So I would suggest, offer solids only occasionally, and when she is less gaggy, offer more often.

I just wanted to offer an update, in case anyone stumbles upon this thread at a later date, experiencing the same thing with their baby.

My little one is enjoying solids a little bit more since I posted the question about three weeks ago. I think in part because I readjusted my own expectations-- (I think I had this Baby Led Weaning / Solids induced image of my baby gleefully gnawing on a big hunk of bison, like a good little cave baby... if I'm being honest! I'm sure there are babies like this out there.)

She is not thrilled about being spoon fed, so I don't do that, but she does enjoy using spoons herself, and even enjoys 'scooping' from a bowl with a little bit of assistance, and will also allow me to 'load' the spoon for her sometimes. She seems to really enjoy yogurt, but we've also tried apple sauce, pumpkin, mashed banana. As for harder things, she's been practicing with rice cakes, and within the last week, she seems to be learning the chewing motion. I plan to start reintroducing the harder items progressively now, perhaps upgrading first to bread and then just trying with whatever we're eating.

Thanks for the ideas and reassurance!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*erin.in.middletown View Post
    I just wanted to offer an update, in case anyone stumbles upon this thread at a later date, experiencing the same thing with their baby.

My little one is enjoying solids a little bit more since I posted the question about three weeks ago. I think in part because I readjusted my own expectations-- (I think I had this Baby Led Weaning / Solids induced image of my baby gleefully gnawing on a big hunk of bison, like a good little cave baby... if I'm being honest! I'm sure there are babies like this out there.)

She is not thrilled about being spoon fed, so I don't do that, but she does enjoy using spoons herself, and even enjoys 'scooping' from a bowl with a little bit of assistance, and will also allow me to 'load' the spoon for her sometimes. She seems to really enjoy yogurt, but we've also tried apple sauce, pumpkin, mashed banana. As for harder things, she's been practicing with rice cakes, and within the last week, she seems to be learning the chewing motion. I plan to start reintroducing the harder items progressively now, perhaps upgrading first to bread and then just trying with whatever we're eating.

Thanks for the ideas and reassurance!
    good to hear.
    My LO we offer him lots of stuff but the truth is much of it he ignores or he will throw or push off his tray. He will often suck on things like a slice of steak, he might not actually manage to chew or eat it but sucking on it is good too.

I went against local Dr opinion here and have introduced eggs early to my LO. He likes scrambled eggs or eggs baked with other things mixed in that can be easily cut to nice easy to handle shapes.

We also regularly soften prunes with some hot water and then he can eat them fairly easily. I've seen issues with constipation so I try to make sure to get alot of the P fruits (pear, prune, plumb, peach etc) into him and avoid the BRAT (Banana, Rice, apples, I don't know what T stands for.) I also try to limit the bread and cereals for him in general at this point again because of the constipation tendency.

I've taken to making baby cookies using some baby cereal and some of the baby fruit purea we were given and then I mix the balance with almond flower and use coconut oil to keep them from sticking. = parts cereal, purea, and almond flower makes a sticky dough and I spread coconut oil on my hands and the silicone baking mat and roll out or make little biscuit shapes and bake at 350 for about 20 minutes or so.

(I think I had this Baby Led Weaning / Solids induced image of my baby gleefully gnawing on a big hunk of bison, like a good little cave baby... if I'm being honest! I'm sure there are babies like this out there.)
    I think good little cave babies usually had their bison pre-chewed by mom! Please note I am not advocating nor condemning this practice. Just offering info! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premastication

Pre-chewed bison, yum!

Our LOs like to throw us for a loop, don't they? Before my first started solids, I assumed that all babies were happy to open their mouths for spoonfuls of purée. The splatters of batted-away carrots on my walls taught me differently!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"