Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Will not eat solids

Default Will not eat solids

My girl is 8.5 months old. We have breastfed since day 1 and never had formula. She drinks pumped milk out of a bottle fine at the sitter. We started solids at 6 months. Basic stuff, apples, bananas, carrots, etc. She didn't love anything and I was usually fighting her to eat. This has gone on for months and she still will not eat solids. You have to spend 10 minutes fighting her to get 1/2 jar gone. It isn't worth it and most of the time she clinches her jaw and turns her head. I have tried every kind of food under the sun.

She also will not put things in her mouth at all, besides her hands occasionally. I have given her bite sized pieces of food and she won't put them in her mouth. When I put them in there for her she gags continuously and tried to spit it out.

She has never taken a paci and gags with those also, but does her bottle just fine. I am at a loss for what to do. I know food before 1 is just for fun but I'm beginnging to think she's never going to eat solids. I have a hard time keeping up with her while she's at the sitters as it is. She will eat 6oz of BM every 3 hours if we let her.

Help

Default Re: Will not eat solids

I hear ya, mama.

This is a thread I posted two months ago, when my little one was 7.5 months old: http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...he-Eats-Solids

She's close to 10 months old now, and I have seen this huge development happen for her perhaps 2 or so weeks ago for her, coinciding with a relatively sudden appearance of three upper teeth. I think from what I've read the presence or absence of teeth is not the be-all-end-all for many other babies when it comes to solids, but it does seem to have made a big difference for my little one. I'm sure there are other game-changers for other babes, as solids seem to be something that happens at very varied pace.

I only offer this because for a moment I too was like, "Ack, I'm really *starting* to be concerned that this might not work out..." But, at least for us, it is working out, it just took a little bit longer than I had anticipated. She is all about tasting new foods now, and gets pretty unhappy when we don't share. But that excitement and willingness to really take bites and chew and the ENJOYMENT of it, was something that happened pretty abruptly.

It sounds like the jars and putting things in her mouth for her is kind of stressing you both out. I would recommend My Child Won't Eat. Would it be possible to switch to finger-sized foods that might be easier to grip, if she has the inclination? Or mushy consistency (mashed potatoes, applesauce, etc) that she could explore and taste if she wants to, but leaving the spoon out of meal time for a while?

If iron is the concern, have you had her levels tested?

Hi first off I would suggest don't be so worried about this. Your baby is still quite young. Many children do not take solids until much closer to a year and some even well beyond a year.

If you think your child has some specific issue that is preventing her from being able to eat then maybe you should have her assessed. However a child who can breast-feed efficiently is unlikely to have issues with eating.

There is a wonderful book that deals with this subject that I think you may benefit from reading. It is called My Child Won't Eat by Carlos Gonzalez

Oh whoops I did not see Erin's post already suggesting that yes I agree with everything Erin said too.

One of my kids really did not eat much at all until he was about 14 months old. He's never had any trouble with eating since. He hated purées he hated being spoonfed it was much better for him to control it on his own but even then it wasn't till well past one year that he really started to eat he just would gag and spit everything else out.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; December 15th, 2014 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*maddieb View Post
    Hi first off I would suggest don't be so worried about this. Your baby is still quite young. Many children do not take solids until much closer to a year and some even well beyond a year.

My kids didn't start eating a lot of solids until around 14-15 months.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"