Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Holding breastshield while punping

Default Holding breastshield while punping

Hi,
    Every time I pump I have to physically hold the shield while pumping.
    Sometimes the pumping session is as long as 45min and it is really annoying.
    Is that normal? Is this how you are suppose to pump?
    I am using the Medela swing pump.
    Thank you

Default Re: Holding breastshield while punping

You need one of these http://www.target.com/p/simple-wishe...r/-/A-12543185

Although I am contemplating trying to cut holes in an old bra when I start pumping so I don't have to spend the $40...

The shield might not be properly sized. Too-large shields can result in a loss of suction and can reduce stimulation, making pumping take longer.

The Swing is a lighter, single electric pump designed for occasional use. It's the pump a stay-at-home mom would use if she wanted to produce the occasional bottle for a sitter. Is that what you're using it for? If not- for example, if you're going back to work and will be pumping regularly- you probably need to upgrade to a double electric.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for replying back.
    Yes, I am back to work and I am using it to to pump twice a day for the nanny.
    The shield is not too large. It fits perfectly but if I let go of it, it falls from the weight of the filled bottle.
    I guess I need to get one of those special bras to hold it in place.

45 minutes is a long time to pump. Are you sure pump is working correctly? Personally I always had to hold the flange when pumping with my single side pump, I used a single side pump as I only pumped rarely. I agree with looking into getting a pump that is more appropriate for regular daily use. Also getting or making pumping bra helpful for frequent pump sessions.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; February 1st, 2014 at 11:48 PM.