Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8 month old breastfeeder

Default 8 month old breastfeeder

I have an 8 month old who has been breastfeeding since birth. Lately however, he seems to be CONSTANTLY wanting to eat. He would literally eat all day long. Is this normal? Is it a growth spurt? Also, I can not keep up with his demands. I am not making enough milk to satisfy him. He can only eat about two minutes on each breast before emptying them.. Any ways to fix this problem or to quickly increase milk supply? I pump after he eats to boost production but that has not helped.

Default Re: 8 month old breastfeeder

Growth spurts can hit at any time. So this definitely could be one. It could also be teething- in fact, at 8 months ai would be suprised if your baby wasn't teething. It could also be separation anxiety- a lot of babies frequently "touch base" as they start to get mobile. So there are plenty of perfectly normal reasons why your baby may be nursing the way he is.

Fast feedings are also entirely normal at 8 months. An 8 month old is generally quite efficient at the breast, and will quickly gulp down a meal and then go right back to playing and exploring.

Other than the fast and frequent feedings, is there a reason why you feel like you're low on milk?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hi thank you for your response..
    Yes, I know my supply is now low because many times when he tries to nurse nothing comes out at all.. Even when I try to express it nothing comes out...
    So I am still trying to figure out ways to hopefully increase it..

Kelly mom.com has a very good article that covers low milk production very thoroughly. You could also try the excellent book making more milk.
    are you pumping to express the milk or hand expressing? Both of these can be problematic for figuring out if there is milk available. I am not sure how you can tell that there is no milk coming out when baby nurses. Is baby simply not swallowing?
    Is baby eating lots of solids? Drinking lots of liquids besides breastmilk? Is there any other reason that your milk production would have gone down so drastically?

Here's the kellymom link: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp...es/low-supply/

Definitely go through it and let us know what, if anything, seems familiar.

One thing that happens to a lot of moms is that they get used to high supply in the early infancy- they feel full pretty often, they have a really easy time expressing milk, they are more likely to feel letdowns and to leak. But that state of affairs doesn't last- once supply and demand are better matched, a mom may feel "empty" pretty much all the time and may find that her ability to express milk decreases. A lot of moms mistake this normal adjustment to supply for low supply. Does that sound like it could be what's happening to you?

I don't mean to cast doubt on your experience. It's just that we have a lot of moms coming through here mistaking normal supply for low supply.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

That does seem slightly like what's going on.. However, I don't feel like I am just mistaking it for being low.. When baby nurses he gets mad and upset (panting and begging for milk, trying to feed, and then starts crying and panting because he can't get anything) it's frustrating for both of us. So usually I try to give him a cup with water just to satisfy his thirst temporarily but I know he is not getting enough milk..

Whether I pump or try to express some out myself, neither work..
    The only way I can get enough milk for one feeding is if I let it build up for like 6 hours, which is almost impossible because my son has demanded to eat every two hours since birth...

I do give him baby food 3 times a day now.. But that does not pacify him at all

Supply = demand, so the more often your baby feeds, the better. Letting milk build up in the breast is very counterproductive, since it tells your body "not much demand here, time to cut back on production".

When supply adjusts to meet demand very precisely, without a lot of milk left over, it's very normal for a baby to act fussy. He got used to one style of nursing, in which milk was so abundant that it didn't take much effort to get out, and now that there's less milk he has to learn to nurse in a new, more assertive way.

That being said, are there any changes to your body that could explain a suddenly lower supply? Are you taking any hormonal contraception? Are you pregnant? Have you had any other recent changes to your health that make you think something is going on?