Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nap Fiascos! ***For New Beginnings Magazine***

Default Nap Fiascos! ***For New Beginnings Magazine***

Can you help this mother?

"I am in need of nap time help! My 17-month-old seems to be transitioning from two naps to one. She is really resisting going to sleep even when I put her down for just an afternoon nap. She seems cranky almost all the time. Once she finally falls asleep, she will sleep for almost three hours, so I know she is tired. What does the nap time routine look like for your toddler? Is the crankiness because she still needs two separate naps, or is it just part of being an increasingly independent toddler?"

Replies may appear in a future Toddler Tips column and can also be sent to toddler.tips@lllusa.org. It is YOUR contributions that make New Beginnings a great source of mother-to-mother help! Your insights are invaluable - THANK YOU!!

Default Re: Nap Fiascos! ***For New Beginnings Magazine***

Anyone?? ... Anyone??

Any thoughts on how to handle a cranky toddler who DIDN'T take a nap? How do you handle naps on the go? Any and all thoughts appreciated!

Sincerely,
    Your friendly New Beginnings Toddler Tips Contributing Editor

The double naps to single nap transition can definitely be tough! Some days your child needs two naps and only takes one, other days it's the reverse... Either way, it's a recipe for a toddler who is more cranky, more needy, and/or more hyper than usual.

At 17 months, it seems like your child is a little bit old to still be double-napping, but maybe that's because both my kids moved to a single nap at around 12 months. Anyway, because she seems old to be double-napping, I would encourage her to move to a single nap. Of course you want to read her cues and let her nap if she's exhausted, but if she's playing happily even though it's "time", I wouldn't try to wrangle her into bed.

My second child didn't nap in her crib until age 2. Up until that point, she napped in her car seat or stroller. In winter, I would bundle her up really warmly and walk her round the neighborhood. Putting her in motion usually got her to sleep in just 10-20 minutes, and there was no struggle involved in getting her into bed. She was always eager to go for her ride because she liked being outside.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My toddler transitioned to only one nap shortly after he turned 1. Then around 18 months he became resistant to napping altogether. Even though he still clearly needed a nap.
    I have now established a routine where I take him out somewhere in the morning. This always tires him out. We go to a playgroup, swimming, gymnastics, or just do some shopping and errands and I let him run around the store. If there is nothing to do we work/play in the yard, or take a walk to the park. When he shows signs of being tired around 11 or 12, I feed him a snack and head home. Either the drive will put him to sleep, or he will just be tired enough to nurse to sleep without a fight. He than sleeps in his bed for about 2 hours and is not too cranky in the afternoon and evening.
    Anytime I stray too far from this routine I have my own nap fiasco to deal with.

"Nap Fiascos" definitely resonates with me. We've had a lot of those. My toddler, now 18 months has always struggled with napping. I'm pretty strict about being home by noon, giving my toddler lunch and getting her to bed - if all goes well she goes down by 1, sleeps an hour and a half and doesn't get cranky till around 7pm. We've come a long way from her infancy where she wouldn't sleep more than 20 minutes at a time, sometimes only once a day! and it seemed she was cranky the most part of the day. Even two naps did not work well for me because she was only ready for the second nap at around 6pm, just in time for dinner and bedtime routine. She wouldn't go down for the night till 10 or 11 and I wouldn't get any me-time. So I was relieved to move to one nap and it works well. This is because my toddler needs a nap approximately 5 hrs after she wakes in the morning, and is ready for bedtime another 5 hrs after she wakes up from her nap. Approximately... and that doesn't mean she will always go down on time, even if she is delirious with sleep deprivation. Today for the first time in a long time I decided to stay out with hubby all day and let her nap in the pram. It was a complete disaster - she didn't sleep till half two, hubby pushing crying baby in the pram, me topping her up on breastmilk on shop floor, looks of pity/distain, snapping with hubby etc. then only a 40 minute nap and difficulty getting to sleep at bedtime. I won't try that again for a while!

As a general rule, if things are routine, the sleep comes easy. Either she falls asleep in the pram on the way home or she has lunch and nurses to sleep without a fight. And much like the previous poster, I go out without fail every morning and make sure she uses up as much energy as possible. I can't remember when the transition came but I think it was around when she started walking. It seems like she was able to expend the right amount of energy and tire herself out enough to be ready to sleep at the right time for her. I'm happy with how it worked out because I so value having my evenings and they work well now. I have to say I don't like being housebound every single day from 12 - 3pm every day, but some days I don't mind having a little kip with her myself!

Of course every child is different. I was speaking with a mum the other day and when I mentioned that my toddler had slept well for her nap she looked at me like I was mad. Then she said she had forgotten that she still naps as her daughter stopped napping altogether at a much younger age than my toddler is now. How different from your story! Anyway I hope you two work it out between you.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jean.merrill View Post
    Can you help this mother?

"I am in need of nap time help! My 17-month-old seems to be transitioning from two naps to one. She is really resisting going to sleep even when I put her down for just an afternoon nap. She seems cranky almost all the time. Once she finally falls asleep, she will sleep for almost three hours, so I know she is tired. What does the nap time routine look like for your toddler? Is the crankiness because she still needs two separate naps, or is it just part of being an increasingly independent toddler?"

Replies may appear in a future Toddler Tips column and can also be sent to toddler.tips@lllusa.org. It is YOUR contributions that make New Beginnings a great source of mother-to-mother help! Your insights are invaluable - THANK YOU!!
    Our nap time routine consists of lunch time, then snuggle and a story in our rocking chair with ocean waves playing, followed by nursing to sleep. My daughter (14 months) transitioned to one nap around the 12 month mark. She sometimes seems to need two naps, but without fail she refuses if I try too early in the morning. In general, toddlers are cranky no matter what you do! So part of the crankiness may be par for the course with your toddler, and part of it may be sleep related. I do make it a point to try not to let my daughter fall alseep in the car, because she does not transition well from a cat nap, and typically if that happens she won't nap for the rest of the day.

One thing that often happens is that my toddler will be too excited for nap on the days I bring my older child home from preschool before nap time. Often she'll rub her eyes and start to nod off while nursing, but then she'll wake up and ask to go back out to the living room. Sometimes I let her have an extra 20 minutes of play, knowing that soon she'll be just too tired and go to sleep. If I try to make her stay in the bedroom when she clearly is too awake, all I get is a struggle. For us, letting her come back out for a few minutes to make sure she isn't missing anything important works well. The house is quiet at those times usually, my older child is having her own quiet time or just reading, or eating her lunch.

Also, there have been days where I have to try to get her to sleep 2-3 times. I don't give up, though. I want her to know that nap time is important, but I also don't want to force it. I just try to make the room and routine as sleep-inducing as possible.
    and Mama to two little girls