Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Question about milk storage

Default Question about milk storage

I pumped about 12- 5 oz bags of breast milk at the beginning of December and had them stored in my freezer in my home until the beginning of January and then put them in my chest freezer in the garage. Is the milk considered old now and should I throw them away?

Default Re: Question about milk storage

No, that milk is not considered old, and you do not need to discard it! Here are the breastmilk storage guidelines: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/m...e/milkstorage/

Basically, frozen milk is considered "good" for six months in a standard freezer, and up to a year in a chest freezer like you currently are using. I personally have a (very small!) 20 ounce stash in a chest freezer of my own with an initial storage date of 6/2013.
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

Totally fine! I'm slowly getting rid of my earlier stash (I send two bags with my baby each day when he goes to childcare) by sending one fresh and one frozen. So now I'm only left with January milk. I also recall hearing that milk changes in characteristic over time, like the milk that you produce when baby is 6 weeks old is nothing like the milk you make at 6 months so I'd rather my baby stays with what's on schedule

Another way to keep your stash fresh is to freeze whatever is left over of the fresh on Friday evening (if you work Monday to Friday), and on Monday send with frozen. Or a daily mix of fresh and frozen as PP suggests - whatever you find works easily for you.

When should I pump though? I pumped my stored milk when I was a lot fuller. My son is now 4 months and my body has regulated my milk way more. I don't want to have nothing left for my son when he wants to eat next. I want a small stash so we can go on a date at some point or if I want to leave the house.

Try pumping right after your first morning feeding. Do it consistently for a week or so, and see what you end up with. If it's enough to set you up with a stash for a date night, then just keep at it. If not, add in a second session right after nursing, or perhaps right before you go to bed, and see where that gets you.

You want to be consistent and patient; you're looking to build your supply by a bit and that's going to take time.

If you end up pumping right before your baby nurses, don't worry about it. The breast is always making milk, and your baby will be able to get his needs met if he just keeps nursing, switching sides, and nursing some more. No need to be "full" in order to nurse. In fact, nursing or pumping a very empty-feeling breast is an excellent way to build supply; the more thoroughly the breast is emptied, the more your body gets the message to make more milk.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"