Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I'm afraid my child hates nursing:(

Default I'm afraid my child hates nursing:(

Although we haven't had terrible obstacles, we have had a tough time since we left the hospital. My DS latched right on seconds after birth and nursed like a champ.... Then we came home

We have struggled with oversupply constantly (I block nurse to alleviate, but it comes back within in days), forceful let down (I feed reclined, pinch and pull back breast while feeding at the advice of a lactation consultant), and distractions constantly while nursing (I have a two year old with jealousy issues). All if this combined has really thrown him off. He's even reluctant to nurse he chokes, cries, unlatches. Once I calm him down he will attempt to nurse again and then one of the other million factors that have made this challenging will happen. He's gaining well and output is fine- I know that is a blessing!

I had such a great nursing relationship with DD. When will this get better?! Has anyone else ever felt like this?! My husband is awesome support: reads the laleche site while I cry to help me, he has called lactation for me, and cheers me on daily!

I have every reason to make this work- it's just not

Default Re: I'm afraid my child hates nursing:(

Also we are two months into this...

Yes, it will get better. It sounds like you have forceful letdown and reclined or laid-back nursing is exactly the right thing to do. It sounds like you already know what to do in that regard but just in case I will put a couple more links in, including an article about block feeding:
    http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfeeding.pdf
    http://www.nancymohrbacher.com/blog/...stfeeding.html
    http://www.nancymohrbacher.com/blog/...dos-donts.html

It's also important to nurse frequently.

Another tip is to let the most forceful letdown at the beginning into a cloth or towel, then latch baby back on.

But generally, oversupply tends to calm down over time - exactly when is hard to predict for any given mother, but you are still in relatively early days at two months. And, babies get more adept at dealing with the fast flow over time. My babies sputtered, choked and gagged too, but then it got better. Baby is dealing with the fast flow but I'm sure does not hate nursing!

I used nursing time as time to cuddle or read with my older kids. Or have some special toys for your toddler to play with during nursing time.

I wish I had advice for you but I don't, except I do want to say that not every child loves nursing. I see some babies who would nurse all day if mom let them. My baby will only eat as needed - if I want too feed him earlier than the next feeding would normally be (because I have an appointment or something) he'll look at me like "why on earth do you expect me to eat now?!" How old is your baby?

I totally felt this way when ds was that age. Every feeding was a battle. He seemed so miserable coughing and choking as I sprayed all over his face! It got better! It was closer to four months before everything really smoothed out for us. After that there was no question that this kid loves to nurse! Take it one day at a time. You know how fast they grow! Another tip to try is using ice packs. The cold helps slow the milk flow. Ds seemed to nurse easier after 5-15 of ice and it felt really good to me since i was still engorged fairly often.

My second kid also seemed to not like nursing much, for reasons similar to yours- oversupply, getting sprayed in the face, coughing and gagging. It was rough for the forts few months, but it got much better as time went on and the block feeding finally took effect. In my experience, oversupply is a problem that comes and goes for a while before it is finally vanquished. Be patient with yourself and your baby. You're doing a wonderful job!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"