Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sleeping thru the night with no feedings

Default Sleeping thru the night with no feedings

My little one is 11 weeks old and has been sleeping anywhere from 7-9 hrs at night with no night time feedings is this normal? I have been keeping track of his feedings during the day and he usually gets in 8 feedings... First time mom and just want to make sure that he is getting enough!

Default Re: Sleeping thru the night with no feedings

How is baby's weight gain? I wouldn't say it's typical for an 11 week old to sleep for that long of a stretch, but I'm sure it's possible. Are you using sleep extending techniques like swaddling or a pacifier? - if so you might want to consider not doing that. Is baby sleeping in the same room as you? - that helps you stay tuned to baby's cues that he might be hungry.

If you are worried about the long stretch, many babies will "dream feed" at night - ie instinctively suck without fully waking up. You could try that if you like, especially if there is any concern about weight gain.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bfwmomof3 View Post
    How is baby's weight gain? I wouldn't say it's typical for an 11 week old to sleep for that long of a stretch, but I'm sure it's possible. Are you using sleep extending techniques like swaddling or a pacifier? - if so you might want to consider not doing that. Is baby sleeping in the same room as you? - that helps you stay tuned to baby's cues that he might be hungry.

If you are worried about the long stretch, many babies will "dream feed" at night - ie instinctively suck without fully waking up. You could try that if you like, especially if there is any concern about weight gain.
    He weighs just over 12lbs and is gaining steadily. I have used a pacifier, but he usually spits it out and whimpers if he wants to eat... But maybe now that is sufficing him. I will definitely not use it anymore and see if there is a change. He is sleeping in bed with us. Thanks for the input and I will use it to good use!!!

That sounds like a good plan. It's also possible that this is a short-lived stage, and he'll go back to night nursing again.

I had that too when my baby was 8 weeks, and then again at 11 weeks and I regretfully inform you that now at 15 weeks my baby is back to 2-3 feedings at night Oh well! It's come and go so enjoy it now while it lasts. When he'll go through a growth spurt, around this time, you might see him waking up more at night. My baby is still swaddled and uses a pacifier just to get him to sleep (he also spits it out a few minutes later) but he'll always start crying if he wakes up from hunger. Your baby isn't that young that he wouldn't wake up even though he's hungry, so don't worry about it.