Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keeping the Older Baby Going and Pump Weaning

Default Re: Keeping the Older Baby Going and Pump Weaning

Thank you! Unfortunately, I'd love to relax, but she IS hungry. She just is not wanting to wait for let-down at all. Before her bedtime last night I used my pump to let down and latch her on, but it still didn't satisfy her. I gave her some formula and she finally calmed down and went to sleep. She has also completely stopped being willing to nurse at noon. and didn't want to nurse this morning either (or was not willing to wait for the let-down). I am trying some blessed thistle and fennel to see if I can speed the let-down. Last night she nursed beautifully at about 11 pm and 4:30 am, but she was mostly asleep and I was pretty full then. I will start increasing solids as well. When she transitions to the one-year-old room in six weeks she will not be allowed to bring any breastmilk, so I guess we will just start kind of day- and pump-weaning a month earlier.

My breasts are also starting to ache like I am a bit plugged. I massaged them a lot last night while I watched TV. I am pumping as much as I can to replace any formula feedings. I just wish this were easier!

Do you think you might be giving her the wrong message by giving her the formula? Now she's learning that if she doesn't wait for the let-down, she'll get formula instead, so what incentive does she have to stay at the breast? I know it's hard when she's frustrated and fussy. What about trying to offer the breast a bit earlier so she's less hungry and more patient to wait for the letdown?

I also came across this when looking something up for another mom, you've probably seen it but in case you haven't:
    http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/letdown/

If nothing else, you're right that you've very close - if you get to a year and she's still only nursing well at night, then maybe she'll be a nighttime nurser for a while. Once they hit toddler years, they need 3-5 nursing sessions/24 hours to get the dairy they need - if you're not getting that with the nighttime nursing sessions, you can make the rest up with cow's milk or other dairy like cheese and yogurt (or other alternatives if she's dairy intolerant).

ETA: Also forgot to say, I did have to go back to pumping for a bit after pump weaning due to plugged ducts. If you're prone to them, it might help to go slowly on the pump weaning.