Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I Need Help Bad!

Exclamation I Need Help Bad!

Hi, I have a almost 4 week old baby, I had planned my whole pregnancy on breastfeeding personally I think is the best option but I hit a few bumps in the road. First I thought maybe I'm not giving enough milk so I gave the baby formula on the third day. Ever since I gave the baby formula I have continued to feed her with formula, I breastfeed probably once a day but it seems my baby doesn't seem satisfied and continues to suck on her hands... So far I see her demand for milk is probably 5-6 oz of milk every 2 hours which scares me. and I will go back to work next week... Should I even bother to make my baby breastfeed?? when I pump it takes about 4 hours for my breast to have enough milk to pump out only about 2 oz. please help me I feel like I'm letting my baby down. I probably sleep about 2 hours a day could that be the reason I don't produce milk, and I really don't eat much either about 2 meals a day. HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!

Default Re: I Need Help Bad!

First off congrats on your new LO and I'm proud of you for trying to BF. I'm also glad you found this site.

If you're only BF the baby once a day, you're not making much milk. bf is based on supply and demand. Every time your LO nurses she's telling your body how much to make. If she's not nursing, you're not making milk. Why did you think she was not getting enough to begin with? Did you explain your wishes to BF with your Ped? Did he/she give you any info/education at all? Did the nurses in the hospital help teach you? I'm so glad you found this site. The women here will be able to educate you so much. Do you have a local LLL meeting place where you live? Does your hospital have BF classes?

BF is a challenge. One of the hardest things to learn is trust your body. Have you read the info on the actual LLL web-site?

The other thing you need to do is REST and EAT. Sleep when baby sleeps and keep snacks around the house you can nibble on. Granola bars and fruit are great!!! There are so many wonderful people here and they will come along and give you so much advice. I am nursing mine back to sleep now so my one free hand is starting to cramp I really hope you are able to get back on track. Good for you on trying so hard.

AJSMommy is right. It is all based on supply and demand. Sadly, during feeding education to new mothers, many hospital OB nurses tell patients that they may not be able to supply enough milk and will likely need to supplement with formula. This does not solve the problem, but rather exasperates it. If you would like to continue breastfeeding, be diligent by attempting to breastfeed your baby as much as possible, and/or attempt to pump several times a day. Also, do your best to take care of yourself, and try to eat healthy foods several times a day - this will help both your health and energy level, as well as boost your milk production. Most importantly, remember that you are trying your best to meet your baby's needs, so do not be hard on yourself. You are doing your best to nurish and care for your baby, and your love and concern for her shine through - do not worry about letting her down. This should be a happy time, not a stressful one (stress can also hinder milk production). Hang in there! Whatever decision you make, know that you are a good mother and that little one will love you, no matter what.

Take the previous posts to heart--they are so true. Try not to worry too much about the production you have while pumping--this isn't necessarily what your body is producing. There's no more effective pump than your baby. I know that with my twins, I tried to pump, and got nearly nothing and thought the same thing. It was actually a letdown issue, not that I wasn't producing enough.

My suggestion would be to try to work toward putting your baby to the breast first, every time. I know it's exhausting (been there), but this is the only way to really boost your supply and ensure you are making enough milk. You may feel "empty", but there is still milk there.

Don't be afraid to keep posting for support and/or call someone that you know that has successfully breastfed for support. I know that these times are really overwhelming, with a new baby, being sleep deprived, hormones running rampant, etc., but don't be afraid to keep reaching out.

Lisa

Smile Re: I Need Help Bad!

Thank you all so much It will definitely help a lot now that I know all that you guys know, it's weird I really do miss her inside of me with her little kicks and all.. and now I feel she's growing miles at a time I'm afraid soon she won't be my baby any more but thank you for your input I sure will put it to work

Oh it is too true they grow so fast. It was only 6 months ago that I was feeling this little body moving and kicking in my belly, only 6 months ago I wasy praying he would come out so I could meet him, only 6 months ago that my water broke and I was scared to death, only 6 months ago this little soul was brought into this world and solely depended on me to help him survive. He's not 6months old and is becoming more and more independant everyday. I know we are supposed to raise them to be on their own, but no one told me every milestone was going to make me giddy with excitement and make my heart hurt too. Oh the emotions we mammas go through. I wish you the best on getting things going again. Let us know if there's anything we can do to hep.

Shannon

Shannon - your post brought tears to my eyes. It is soo true our babies grow so fast, and that's what we want but it happens too fast. My little guy is going to be one year old in December, I can't get over it! He is nearly a toddler. . . a toddler!! Every age is so exciting and yet I still want him to be my little baby, don't want him to grow up. . . and yet I do. Motherhood is truely amazing, I never knew I was capable of these emotions. Thank you for letting me express my emotional self.

Janelle - you are not letting your baby down, you are doing a great job. Like pp said if you want to ebf then get baby to the breast A
    LOT and pump to increase your supply, your body will do the rest. It is so important to get plenty of rest. What did you mean when you said you only sleep 2 hours a day, did you mean naps, or is that all the sleep you get in 24 hours? Plenty of rest is essential for your hard working body to make enough milk. Also eating healthy is extremely important, keep healthy snacks around. Like string cheese, fruit, nuts, veggies, etc. It's important to take care of yourself if you want your body to sustain another human being. You can do this!! You will find a lot of support here. Let us know how it is going.

Hi there
    Just wanted to agree with the PP's and give you some articles that may help you:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/back.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/pumpfreq.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/returnwork.html

You might also check out our forum for Working and Breastfeeding for some good help!

Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Smile Re: I Need Help Bad!

Must I admit that when I had a hard time breathing fitting into my clothes and getting my belly kicked every 2 seconds I just wanted her out, but now Like I said I miss her inside I wish I could go back in time and capture a lot more of my pregnancy.. So for all the pregnant women here don't take your pregnancy for granted you will miss it like I never thought I would.. I am also working on the breastfeeding I think I will do just fine thanks to all your great advise... I take this moment and applaud all the women who are true mothers

I have a stepson more like my own son, I love him to death... his "mother" never sees him and only tries to hurt his father (my husband) I don't know how some women could do that just abandon their children.. .they are so precious and now I trully appreciate my mother

and I'm sure your babies will do the same, just the fact that you all take time to learn and teach of how to make your and others children better speaks tons about you... Once again thank you