Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: preemies catching up

Default preemies catching up

hi
    does anyone have any idea on when to start our preemies on solids? my son is now four months he was born in october at 28weeks he was meant to be born on dec 31 so he will technically be four months in april. is that too late? he just seems to always be hungry...

Default Re: preemies catching up

My son too was 8 weeks early. I know that it is recommended to strictly breastfeed for the first 6 months. So if you adjust his age to when he should have been born it would 8 months. I think we started cereal around 7-8 months and baby food at 9 months. He just didn't want anything to do with food until then. I remember how much he nursed too. Probably until he was 9 months he nursed every 2 hours. Preemies do have so much catching up to do! I know it gets hard at times, but try to think about how much your little one is benefiting from your milk!! My ped at our 1 yr check up last month encouraged me to continue breastfeeding as long as we wanted and contributed his good health to it!! Good luck with everything! FYI we had to do iron supplements at 6 mos and now again at 1 yr. Preemies don't get the chance to build up iron stores from us because they are born early.

Hi, the paediatrician in the hospital where my ds3 was born, said that for preemies their developement is dated from their due date, not from their birth date EXCEPT for introduction of solids, which he said should date six months from the birth date. However, I'm in Ireland so perhaps advice is different in the US?

oh my really????
    did your baby take to solids?
    im sure its the same everywhere i think im going to start him in april this year he will be 7 months then maybe just to play it safe...
    hope he enjoys it he seems so hungry all the time :\

If he was born that early, i'd definitely go by due date. Mine had issues with solid foods and wasn't till she was almost 1 year old before taking any. Luckily she is breastfeed