Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sad and confused. What comes next?

Default Re: Sad and confused. What comes next?

bfwmomof3- what did your pump wean schedule look like? I am envisioning a lot of one step forward two steps back. Did you nurse on demand as you were pump weaning? I have a feeling my mondays will not be pretty....
    When the time comes I am sure Ill be posting questions but would love to hear what you did.
    Thanks!
    mommy to Ellie - 2/28/13 8lb 3oz 19.5in

Due to oversupply and large storage capacity, I always only pumped twice per day (and still ended up with lots extra - yes I'm lucky!), once in the late morning and once in mid afternoon. So first I worked on cutting back the afternoon pumping session. Before pump weaning I was pumping 10 oz in that session so I just very gradually decreased that to 8 oz, 6 oz etc. But it was one step forward two steps back as you say - if I was still very full in the afternoon sometimes I would have to pump more than the targeted amount, and then cut it back. Then I went through the same process for the morning pump. It took me three months! And yes, Mondays and Tuesdays I would definitely be fuller, and sometimes have to pump specifically on those days (I was nursing on demand at home). When I had to go back to once daily pumping was after a vacation and ten days of on-demand nursing - then I had to re-pump wean. I thought about whether I should nurse less on the weekends but I didn't want to do anything that would encourage weaning, since I wanted to still nurse - so I did not restrict.

You can buy double electric pumps on ebay for very reasonable prices. People who get them free from their insurance and aren't using it are rushing to sell them on ebay to make some money off it. I got one free from insurance (an Ameda Purely Yours) which I'm happy with. I sometimes want to pump at home if I stay home and baby is at childcare (a sick day, for example) so I bought the same one on ebay for about $45 (brand new, still sealed in the box). Try that route.

HAPPY UPDATE: Finally got some good news from the insurance company and my new PISA is on its way!!! Heres to hoping this is the fix I need! Ellie does not like the flax milk I made her to fill in the gaps so I will be very happy with some extra bm to send with her to daycare.
    Thanks for all the help and support ladies and wish me luck!
    mommy to Ellie - 2/28/13 8lb 3oz 19.5in

Oh, that's wonderful! Thanks for the update!